Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

This question comes up very regularly. There are many threads on it.

Of course “greatest” is subjective.

For anyone who was there it was probably City 5 Charlton 1 to get promoted. If you went and you were in the Kippax you know, particularly the section next to where the away fans were meant to be. If you were there and don’t talk about it your mind has chosen to forget. If you weren’t there you can’t imagine how different it was that day and I don’t mean that in an arrogant way. I sometimes wonder myself if I dreamt the whole thing.

If you don’t believe it look it up on YouTube. How many people in the Kippax? Tell me what you think.

I agree on the Charlton game. I remember watching it that night on MOTD and thinking we'd been shortchanged though. The BBC did not pick up how great that noise was. I'd have to go back and check but I remember thinking at the time that they didn't have any sound mics or anything and that the only noise picked up was via the commentary mics (from that gantry built into the roof). The Kippax never came across on TV as it should've done because of that.

Obviously, the Bell comeback v NUFC will always be remembered as truly emotional - and it was - and there have been plenty of powerful atmospheres such as most derbies in the 70s & 80s, especially the 5-1, and games with Everton & Liverpool but there's lots of other games that we tend to forget about now. I do remember in the Second Division games of 1983 to 1985 there were a few games that stood out. There was a game v NUFC when they brought about 10,000 down and the noise from both sets of fans was intense throughout, similar with Sheff Wed too. Other games would have crowds of about 19,000 but those had 40k plus and the noise was intense, building up in the 30 mins before the game too.

For anyone who was there it was probably City 5 Charlton 1 to get promoted. If you went and you were in the Kippax you know, particularly the section next to where the away fans were meant to be. If you were there and don’t talk about it your mind has chosen to forget. If you weren’t there you can’t imagine how different it was that day and I don’t mean that in an arrogant way. I sometimes wonder myself if I dreamt the whole thing.

If you don’t believe it look it up on YouTube. How many people in the Kippax? Tell me what you think.

Having said that greatest would also mean terrifying. I couldn’t breathe for about a minute but it felt like five. I could feel myself starting to go through the pressure of bodies on top of me after one of the goals. The bodies on top of me cleared and I got some air then City scored again and I was back to square 1. People I was stood next to popped up 30 metres away.

I thought it was fun at the time but now I look back...Jesus it was dangerous and very very noisy. Beautiful sunny day too.

I don’t know if there was anything like that before...maybe decades ago...but there has definitely been nothing like it since and I mean nowhere near and there never will be now. If someone had died then nobody would talk about it as great but they didn’t so it was kind of special. Who went to the game before in Nottingham?! I was a student there then...crazy day that was!

So it depends on your definition. The happiest will always be 93.20.

I arrived late to the Charlton game because of the crowds.
I came out of the tunnel onto the terracing just as City scored.
Bedlam!
It was the only time in decades of Kippax attendance that I feared for my life. I remember thinking just stay on your feet man, stay in your feet or you won’t get up!
It was absolutely packed in there, it must have exceeded permitted numbers.

Probably already been mentioned, but the last Maine Road derby was an atmosphere to remember. I’d been there when there were 20,000 more fans but didn’t match the noise and intensity IMO.

Just shows how much we can achieve when everyone makes a contribution.

I arrived late to the Charlton game because of the crowds.
I came out of the tunnel onto the terracing just as City scored.
Bedlam!
It was the only time in decades of Kippax attendance that I feared for my life. I remember thinking just stay on your feet man, stay in your feet or you won’t get up!
It was absolutely packed in there, it must have exceeded permitted numbers.

When I hear people talk about this game it makes me really pleased it was my first ever game, I don’t remember a thing really just being a bit scared at the noise when we scored

Having said that greatest would also mean terrifying. I couldn’t breathe for about a minute but it felt like five. I could feel myself starting to go through the pressure of bodies on top of me after one of the goals. The bodies on top of me cleared and I got some air then City scored again and I was back to square 1. People I was stood next to popped up 30 metres away.

I thought it was fun at the time but now I look back...Jesus it was dangerous and very very noisy. Beautiful sunny day too.

I don’t know if there was anything like that before...maybe decades ago...but there has definitely been nothing like it since and I mean nowhere near and there never will be now. If someone had died then nobody would talk about it as great but they didn’t so it was kind of special. Who went to the game before in Nottingham?! I was a student there then...crazy day that was!

So it depends on your definition. The happiest will always be 93.20.

Was there in the Platt Lane for the Charlton match and could see the bedlam. Astonishingly when we scored the first goal I heard from mates who were playing for School Cricket team (MGS) at the same time that they could hear the noise - according to Google maps that’s over 2 miles away!!!

Mine is and will never be topped. The game against Liverpool when David white scored twice. One of them hit the bar and bounced on (over) the line. we all celebrated half heartedly then it seemed to go quite. The linesman signalled a goal and pointed to the centre spot and then the kippax roof nearly came off. Even the steward had his fingers in ears.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.