Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

I am not ashamed to admit that day I was near to tears.I saw loads of grown men with tears rolling down their cheeks and you know what,no one gave a fuck about their open feelings towards one of sports most ideal & iconic footballers ever to grace our club.
The nearest is Merlin but you actually cannot make comparisons as they had/have their own individual styles,but thats for another thread.

It wasn't just the noise but also the passion coming from every part of the ground and we scored four second half goals to win four nil. If I remember Colin hit the post/bar and if he had scored I am sure the roof would of come off the Kippax :).

The Aguero goal is the never to be forgotten moment but for me the reception for Colin is close behind.

I never had the privilege of seeing Colin in his prime but have at least seen Merlin and Kev at his best is also a joy to behold :)

It wasn't just the noise but also the passion coming from every part of the ground and we scored four second half goals to win four nil. If I remember Colin hit the post/bar and if he had scored I am sure the roof would of come off the Kippax :).

The Aguero goal is the never to be forgotten moment but for me the reception for Colin is close behind.

I never had the privilege of seeing Colin in his prime but have at least seen Merlin and Kev at his best is also a joy to behold :)
The one thing that I`ll never forget were the Geordie fans who also joined in with the chanting and there was not one hostility towards him by those Newcastle fans.Wonderful that day.

It was the last derby in 2002. God it still gives me goosebumps thinking about it, you could literally feel the atmosphere hit you in waves. If I remember rightly city warmed up quick and went in a bit earlier than utd, the noise of boos and whistles for them lot still make my hairs stand up on end, nothing has beat it to this day.
And when Anelka scored I was that tense and hyped up that I froze but the noise was immense .
Great day, great memories, great atmosphere .

Last edited:
The one thing that I`ll never forget were the Geordie fans who also joined in with the chanting and there was not one hostility towards him by those Newcastle fans.Wonderful that day.

I have searched the web but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any TV coverage of that day.

Schalke in the European CW Cup.
Birmingham on the Friday night to (nearly) get promotion, got a piece of the pitch afterwards.
Last derby at Maine Road 3-1.
Newcastle in the F.A. Cup lost 4-5 in 1957, Geordies singing Blaydon Races all round the ground.

Last edited:
That Everton game was a cracker. It was City's last home game, the last two games being away at Spurs and Newcastle. The players and the crowd were well up for it. The crowd went mental when Tony Book scored City's first. Tony Coleman got the second with a rocket shot that Gordon West held up his hands to catch but the ball went straight through them. The rags were playing at West Brom and the biggest roar of the night was when the stadium announcer said "Here is a result you may not have heard." The euphoria stopped and the stadium went totally quiet in an instant. "West Bromwich Albion 6..." The incredible roar from the crowd drowned out the rags' score. We'd have looked well if it had been 7! (It was 3).
I was at the Hawthorns for that one! Left the ground not knowing City's score till i got to a phone box.

Went to all games mentioned from 75 onwards the one I remember for being a great atmosphere and noise was the 4.0 against the rags in league cup 75
I was in the Platt Lane that night and was 10 years old. The buses wouldn’t go to the match because some of them had been attacked after the 2-2 earlier in the season. We had to walk from Ordsall. This was the game when that rag bastard buchan did Colin. He was down for ages before Freddie Griffiths was allowed on to see to him IIRC. Then the club doctor came on. All the while this was going on rags were getting battered all over the Platt Lane. I thought it was great.
Many other similar memories to others on here, still miss Maine Road, but, 93:20 was the greatest moment ever for me in any stadium anywhere.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.