Greatest Atmosphere ever at Maine Road

It was the last derby in 2002. God it still gives me goosebumps thinking about it, you could literally feel the atmosphere hit you in waves. If I remember rightly city warmed up quick and went in a bit earlier than utd, the noise of boos and whistles for them lot still make my hairs stand up on end, nothing has beat it to this day.
And when Anelka scored I was that tense and hyped up that I froze but the noise was immense .
Great day, great memories, great atmosphere .

Have to agree, my first full season was 89, the 5-1 first derby, however, I think only Hamburg at the Etihad Has come close to that last derby, it was electric, the whole feeling was like every blue had wanted to scream but kept it in for a decade, still resonates... I remember falling off the barriers in the Maine stand (the ones attached to the tunnels at the front),when the goat bagged the third, one of my fav football memories (the goal that is)..

Apologies for this but the Man U. v
Bilbao European Cup match played at Maine Road was a cracker, Utd won 3-0 to overturn 5-3 in the first leg. Didn't know then I shouldn't cheer them.

So ban me?

Thanks to all of you who responded to my guess work at the 28,000 for the 10-1 game v Huddersfield.WOW less than 20,000.Thankfully I was there that day to witness the 3 hat tricks.Wonder if this counts better than a trip to York ?? ;)

Bit younger than some posting but stand out games included most Manchester derbies, in particular the 1-1 or 0-0 circa 92/93 when the big city flag was passed over the Kippax.

Spurs in the Cup was great especially the 5/10 minutes after Sheron had opened the scoring.

When it became all seater Stoke (with the second half comeback) 98/99, Wigan play offs 98/99, Newcastle in the carabao cup 94/95? when Rosler equalised and Boro in the Fa cup (Juninho v Kinkladze) 96/97.

One last one and worth watching is City v West Ham in the Fa Cup when Kinkladze scored that memorable goal.

When kinky started that run the front of the North Stand literally jumped out of their seats as he slalomed his way to goal. Would love to see that excitement again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.