Players reportedly tell Pep to stop "tinkering"

He isn't, and both him and Pep have said as much, so those clamouring for it need to listen, our results this season are nothing to do with this red herring.

Its mainly to do with missing chances, we've created 50 in 2 games against spurs alone, and scored 2 goals and gained 1 point, its pathetic, that's not down to Pep, its totally down to the players on the pitch.

We dropped points in Fernandinhos absence last year. Him not being in midfield isn’t a red herring. He’s better and more effective than Rodri or Gundo in that role. Quicker at turning play over and faster at recovering if the ball is lost. Had we had fit and performing centre halves this year he’d have played his role again a lot more than maybe planned due to Rodris limitations/ time to adapt.

Maybe but we're still not going back to Fern playing 30 games a season as DM and you know that. There's more to that role than mobility. Rodri can probably do it if we get the right balance in midfield.

You're right - there's more to that role. And Fernandinho is still better than Rodri and Gundogan in every single way which is why he needs to go back to DM.

Whatever the outcome of this, if any, and we always hear the old adage ‘he’s lost the dressing room’. In this case we and the club should stand by Pep and some of those players need to look at themselves before laying the blame at Pep. I am not saying Pep is perfect and not made any mistakes, but this is the best manager of the modern football age and we need to ensure we keep him as long as possible. We all have our opinions on which players should and should not be playing, but as others have said given the number of chances we create and the few we give the opposition would suggest the tactics are fine. For what it is worth we need to pick players on form and in their best positions. Give Garcia a long stint at CB and put Fernie back to DM, take Sterling out of the team for an extended time.
Could not agree more with the last sentence. If Garcia is one for the future, the future starts tomorrow. Give him a run in the team, he has done well when played and shows great promise. Fernandinho back into his true position and finally please get Sterling out of his misery and let him have a spell on the sidelines to reflect on how badly he has been playing.

Rodri is to slow and always will be to replace Fern, great technical skills but not up to the EPL speed.

It's not just about Rodri though. Pairing him in a midfield 2 with Gundogan is idiotic given they're two of the slowest players in our squad and it shows up every time there's a break on.

Rodri needs to have Bernardo or Foden supporting him, providing legs and energy in midfield, with KDB ahead of them. There hasn't been enough balance.

Rodri is to slow and always will be to replace Fern, great technical skills but not up to the EPL speed.
Mentally I agree, however Fern ain’t no speed demon. Rodri’s problem is he’s out of position far too much. His football brain is too slow for that role at the moment. Could be due to new instructions or new league,new country. He just doesn’t have the nouse like fern. He needs to learn that his position relys on being in the right place at exactly the right time. He has to be near the ball to win it back. His reading of the game is nowhere near ferns and Reading the game is crucial for a DM.

When I saw KDB and Gundo shaking their heads and mouthing behind their hands at the final whistle, I sensed possible dissent going on?

Perhaps the lazy pair could decide to run when it is required, rather than when it suits?

For all Kevin's showreel this season, his high percentage football, he has been errant in his passing of late and looks overweight.

I thought his tactics were spot on against Spurs. I have never seen such a one sided loss in my life it defied belief. Souness got it right when he said, "That's football sometimes it just isn't your day, you have to get out of there and move on."

We massacred Spur's on their own patch and that was down to Pep's tactics. They hardly had a kick until the sending off and even after it and down to ten men we should have scored twice. It isn't Pep's fault a top international can't score with a free shot from 12 yards. It isn't his fault players made the wrong pass at vital moments and missed chance after chance, a few clear cut. It isn't his fault players lost their discipline, got involved in a melee and picked up pointless yellow cards. It isn't his fault Mahrez passed a corner straight to a Spur's player, leaving us horribly exposed, or that Zinchenko, already on a yellow card, then thought he could barge Winks off the ball and get away with it. Totally brain dead the pair of them. It isn't his fault Otamendi inexplicably moved out of position into no man's land leaving Son free to score. As Pep has said all season we need to improve in both boxes and he is right.

His so called tinkering saw us play the rags off the park in the first half at the swamp and again we should have won 5-1 not 3-1. The return leg was the same, should have won at least 3-1 not lost 1-0.

There isn't a lot wrong with our tactics except maybe moving the ball a little faster and shooting first time when in a decent position. Individual errors at both ends of the pitch have cost us this season, some players slow to recover on the turnovers through a lack of pace and the loss of Kompany, Laporte and Mendy never being fit at left back. That's the reason's we have fallen short and hopefully the players will rest, recover and go all out to finish the season on a high by winning a couple of trophies and cementing runner's up while beating Liverpool into the bargain so ensuring they don't go unbeaten all season.
There is much in there that I would agree with. How much responsibility for the mentality of the players resting on the manager's shoulders, is debatable.
It's undeniable that we are still creating enough chances to win against any opposition.
That would suggest that the tactics aren't completely flawed, but the personnel may be.
I think the quality of play in general is below where we were over the previous two seasons.
IMO there are certain players in our squad, that despite having wonderful traits of their own, are not capable of playing the precise quick one touch football that we expect now.
Certain players are too slow, in control or in thought and certain players can't pass accurately never mind weight a pass.
Our stats show we have hundreds of passes a game. What I've noticed more of this season is the sloppiness of our passing even when not under pressure. It slows everything down.
Mahrez, Walker, Zinc,Otter, Mendy for all they give us, cannot pass a ball under pressure. The bread and butter short game pass. Raheem can't do anything right at the moment.
Cancelo and Rodri I'll still give the benefit of the doubt to. Maybe they are still getting up to speed but they are sloppy because they look like they think they have all day.
Even Bernardo, who is wonderfully gifted does not have the deft touch of Silva from a few years back. It'll take time perhaps and he gives us so much more but that level of precision and speed is the mainstay of Pep's way of playing through packed defences.

Something I’ve thought about is Otamendi and Stones being our main CB’s in a 4-3-3 system in our highest (and the league’s up to now) points total.

I know both are a bit of a liability but have they regressed so much in 2 years?

Maybe a period of them two in defence and Fernandinho back into midfielder will help? With Rodri getting up to speed with the league.

Just a thought.

I also think Sane must come straight back in and start games again.

Stones has regressed massively, he's a complete shell of the player he was back then.

Otamendi just managed to put together a run of consistency that he's not managed to replicate in the subsequent seasons. On a given day he can be just as good, but the mistakes are just happening too frequently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.