West Ham match postponed - confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
And in that 2.5 hrs more damage was caused, more roads flooded and more trains disrupted. It might not have seemed the right decision to us but the club/police/whoever had probably more information. Including the fact that a lot of the Greater Manchester Police will have been diverted away from a simple football match to help people whose houses and roads were being flooded. For example parts of Bury and Ramsbottom being evacuated needed extra police assistance. Would you rather they were left to fend for themselves whilst we football fans (the ones that could make it to the stadium) were 'enjoying' a game of football?

Sorry but they don't take these decisions lightly and the pictures/videos I am seeing of conditions around the Greater Manchester and outlying areas plus conditions on the trains and the roads all over the country are enough to make me realise that life definitely does not revolve around football, much as I love it and would love to have been there this afternoon. Sorry just my humble opinion.

I've heard about some friends who are struggling to keep the floods from their door so maybe I am a bit over 'emotional'!!
The game should have been cancelled earlier. No doubt some people travelling a fair distance will already have started their journey to the Etihad and were put at considerable unacceptable risk for a game of football. If the Dutch can cancel all games a day early, is it beyond the PL to show similar consideration and common sense.

Not necessarily. The air around it was also at high speed... Also, it wouldn't be designed to handle one as IIRC you need a pointed nose, like Concord...?

I could be completely wrong about that though.
Very interesting physics involved there, I wonder if any of our fellow Bluemooners know the definitive answer.

Don't tell the A380 pilot.

Experts are hailing a British Airways flight as the fastest subsonic New York to London journey.

The Boeing 747-436 reached speeds of 825 mph (1,327 km/h) as it rode a jet stream accelerated by Storm Ciara.

The four hours and 56 minutes flight arrived at Heathrow Airport 80 minutes ahead of schedule on Sunday morning.

According to Flightradar24, an online flight tracking service, it beat a previous five hours 13 minutes record held by Norwegian.

The BBC has been unable to independently verify the record as no complete database of flight times was available.

Aviation consultant and former BA pilot Alastair Rosenschein said the aeroplane reached a "phenomenal speed".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51433720
Working with nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.