#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people still feel the specter of the whole “Class of ‘92” BS and, I guess, long for the days of Nicky Reid and Steve Kinsey! For others, they must simply want to be able to brag we have a Stockport lad in the team, so ignore the £billion spent on world class players from elsewhere.

I don’t really know what people see that I don’t, but I do know he goes missing, or gets “lost” on the field, quite a lot. When that happens with a youngster, they often don’t get the benefit of the doubt, because they haven’t built the years of a reserve of trust from which a manager can make a withdrawal.

That said, I’ve also seen him make great runs, make incisive passes and he can shoot from outside (a trait I like immensely), so we all know he CAN perform, but he doesn’t do that in every game and take those opportunities every time he is given them. A top class professional does, because he is comfortable in his own skin, he can produce his talent every day...on the training pitch and in a game...because it is ingrained in him, it is his habit, he can do most of it without thinking. I just don’t think Foden has built the reserve of that type of experience (I know, I know) yet that gets him on the team sheet week in week out, but it’s coming.

There is clearly a deep reserve of love for the lad, and he will get every opportunity from the fans to be successful. However, it will be interesting to see and hear the fans having a go at him, and they will, and how long it takes for him to be treated like everyone else. He is young. His time is coming, both at City and with England. He shouldn’t be in a rush to get there until he is absolutely ready, because this game can chew you up and spit you out quicker than you can say “Done!”
no ones saying that he should be first name of the team sheet we just want him to be playing more than two minute cameos honestly 30 minute sub appearances with the occasional start against lower teams would be fine. Surely he should be getting more than a two minute cameo every other week especially considering the league is over?

I totally understand the sentiment behind this post and it was a narrative I followed until it became clear it was just not true.

Firstly, age is irrelevant. If a player is good enough and can help the team, that is all that matters. In Foden's case, we have seen numerous times this season that he is more than good enough to be an actual member of this first team squad; something he is not right now. Foden's stats in the CL said it all, creating the most chances in open play despite only starting 2 CL games. And this is the issue currently, there is no linear progression between Foden's performances and him being given more of a chance. How can that be good for his development?! In fact, he has made the least number of starts this season of our squad. It seems Pep is just as concerned with developing Foden as he is Bravo, a soon to be 37 year old goalkeeper that has no business playing in a top league.

And to compound this, we're 22 points behind the Liverpool with several underperforming players given chance after chance and Pep has shown zero initiative in developing our future talents. Pep saying he trusts Foden means nothing when he has shown he clearly doesn't. And it's not as if Pep has credit in the bank when it comes to developing young players; he hasn't once successfully integrated an academy player in the first team. How can you claim Foden is Silva's replacement and yet give him 2 PL starts? It's totally disingenuous and means alot of fans like myself don't have faith in Pep to help players bridge the gap between youth football and first team. He's quite simply stunting Foden's progress and he won't be here in 18 months time. We just need to hope Foden sticks around until he's 21 so the next manager can give him an actual opportunity.
He is a first team player so he has to fight for his place just like the others,no reason to play him just because he is a local boy,pep says he wants him to be more assertive and make him impossible to leave him out

Guardiola said: "I don't know. I have an idea but not even had contact from anyone in terms of that because, during the season, I am not too much ready to think about that. Of course, we have to do something because David (Silva) is leaving and in some positions'....
We ned to bring in another midfielder to kep tje numbers up,it might be a squad player or with other skills from phil

I agree, and he does. He just isn’t a load carrying member yet.

Err, yes he is.

And here I was thinking we were having an intelligent discussion. He’s not in the first team squad, but he plays in the CL? Bravo being developed?

Err, OK? Can Foden play CB? He might get a game if he can!

Being given limited game time and being an actual part of the first team picture aren't the same thing. Foden has started 2 out 25 league games, quite clearly tells you how much Pep values him as an actual option. A first team squad player simply plays more games than that which is why I highlighted Bravo. Pep makes a point to start him in all cup competitions and not Foden which is totally baffling.

He is a first team player so he has to fight for his place just like the others,no reason to play him just because he is a local boy,pep says he wants him to be more assertive and make him impossible to leave him out
He is a first team player only in name, he isn't in actuality.

I understand most people's opinions on here, nobody should be gifted anything, sure that's fine. But have his displays not earned him more game time? I think most people would agree he has "earned" it, and not "gifted" it.

Training also doesn't perfectly reflect what a player is like in a game, we have seen this disproven many times, where players in training are great at penalties, then on the field crumble, and there are quotes of this.

Or where Pep says, of a player who plays very poorly one game, "In training he looks great so I played him". Obviously thats fine and all, but you can't completely equate the two.

no ones saying that he should be first name of the team sheet we just want him to be playing more than two minute cameos honestly 30 minute sub appearances with the occasional start against lower teams would be fine. Surely he should be getting more than a two minute cameo every other week especially considering the league is over?
Have we blown anyone out recently? We’ve been struggling to get a two goal cushion against anyone, and until we have one of those, preferably a 3 goal cushion, Pep isn’t going to do anything other than make strategic replacements needed, as opposed to getting some experience in any player. He’s just not that guy.

A first team squad player simply plays more games than that which is why I highlighted Bravo. Pep makes a point to start him in all cup competitions and not Foden which is totally baffling.

Baffling? Seriously? You’re kidding me, right? Come on.

Have we blown anyone out recently? We’ve been struggling to get a two goal cushion against anyone, and until we have one of those, preferably a 3 goal cushion, Pep isn’t going to do anything other than make strategic replacements needed, as opposed to getting some experience in any player. He’s just not that guy.
How many years do we wait for "We have to blow teams out for Phil to get more than 2 minutes"? Same thing happened last year too, which fairly was his first year as part of the squad, but where is the development into his 2nd year?

Also, if we need a goal, and let's say David, Gundogan etc are playing. Do you not think a Phil Foden substitution can possibly make a difference? He is more of a goal threat than those 2.

He is a first team player only in name, he isn't in actuality.

I understand most people's opinions on here, nobody should be gifted anything, sure that's fine. But have his displays not earned him more game time? I think most people would agree he has "earned" it, and not "gifted" it.

Training also doesn't perfectly reflect what a player is like in a game, we have seen this disproven many times, where players in training are great at penalties, then on the field crumble, and there are quotes of this.

Or where Pep says, of a player who plays very poorly one game, "In training he looks great so I played him". Obviously thats fine and all, but you can't completely equate the two.
I’m going to take it you haven’t been around many serious football teams, because “looking good in games” is exactly how young players get their breaks into the first team training squad, but going up from there requires outshining others in training in order to get on the field in a real game.

Yes, Foden has had a few good games, but the same and more can be said of every other member of the squad. In fact, I’d venture Garcia has more of a claim to a first team starting position than Foden, because Foden is competing against experienced international in his position, whereas Garcia plays in the slot of our best defender who has been out injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.