Prog rock

One of my favourite prog albums is Garden Shed by England.
Way back in the 70s.

Another one is 5 Moments by Sebastian Hardy (Aussie group)

But the proggiest of prog bands was Gentle Giant, they're hard to get into but well worth the effort.
Quite right, an example, tons more of course.

One of my favourite prog albums is Garden Shed by England.
Way back in the 70s.

Another one is 5 Moments by Sebastian Hardy (Aussie group)

But the proggiest of prog bands was Gentle Giant, they're hard to get into but well worth the effort.
Gentle Giant octopus is my go to if I want to clear the house. My wife hates it. The first chord brings an instant reaction. The steven wilson 5.1 remix is a thing of sublime beauty. A great band live.

Vast majority ...... unlistenable ?

No..If you think that don't bother with Gentle Giant haha
I've never classed myself as a Prog Rock afficianado, but have always classed myself as "an album guy". Always have to play the music from start to finish, as intended - I'm not even a fan of Deluxe edition albums where they mess about with running orders or add 10 seconds to a track for no reason, never bought singles. I'd not listened to Yes for years, since my brother sold his record collection in the eighties, I bought as much as I could afford but the two Yes albums got sold. It was great to hear these again recently. I do think that the vocals might be too much for some for a prolonged period, with it being such a high key, but I love it.

I've never classed myself as a Prog Rock afficianado, but have always classed myself as "an album guy". Always have to play the music from start to finish, as intended - I'm not even a fan of Deluxe edition albums where they mess about with running orders or add 10 seconds to a track for no reason, never bought singles. I'd not listened to Yes for years, since my brother sold his record collection in the eighties, I bought as much as I could afford but the two Yes albums got sold. It was great to hear these again recently. I do think that the vocals might be too much for some for a prolonged period, with it being such a high key, but I love it.

And 90125 and Big Generator use multiple vocal harmonies from Rabin and Squire as well as Anderson anyway.

Yeah, I was there too, got the Mrs to look up the score during the interval to find we won 1-0, made the gig even sweeter.
If someone had told me that incorporating a Brass Band with Rock/Prog Music would sound good, I'd have still been laughing now but it does work.
Slightly off topic, but I love a brass band. The Hardraw competition in early September is well worth a visit, weather permitting.

One of my first music favourites was Mike Oldfield, so I've always liked the idea of using instruments you wouldn't expect.

Rush aren't a Prog band but some of their songs tick a number of the typical Prog boxes.

But then that's one of the problems with labels: lots of bands don't fit neatly into one category (or sub genre) of music.

Not sure many bands that are dubbed Prog these days are actually very progressive; when the term was first coined it was applied to bands who were pushing the boundaries of what constituted rock ('n' roll) music. There's quite a good definition here http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp#definition.
I'm struggling to really get into some of these suggested bands on here, a lot just sound like Genesis without the catchy bits! Tried Big Big Train and the first 2 albums were okay but the 3rd one - English Boy Wonders - was just awful. If you're going to sound like someone else, is it prog?
In Robert Fripp's opinion, once "progressive rock" ceased to cover new ground – becoming a set of conventions to be repeated and imitated – the genre's premise had ceased to be "progressive".

This is the type of arguement I have with my Muso 'not really into Prog Rock' friends, who slate all of Yes' output for example & I agree the vast majority is unlistenable but the half dozen or so of their best really stands out, I make the point of saying what if the Sex Pistsols had released 20 albums would all of them been as good as Never Mind.....

I have no problem listening to numerous Yes albums, even some more recent ones. Although the set of songs they did on Yessongs might be the pinnacle of Prpg for me, must be why I have a box set containing several of the shows they culled that album from.

I'm struggling to really get into some of these suggested bands on here, a lot just sound like Genesis without the catchy bits! Tried Big Big Train and the first 2 albums were okay but the 3rd one - English Boy Wonders - was just awful. If you're going to sound like someone else, is it prog?

I think Fripp is probably right; although there's a style of music that I like there. Not that I have got into many of the newer bands.

True their albums prior to David Longdon (singer) joining in 2009 are on the whole dissapointing, since 2009 they are essentially a new band, Ie incorporating new World Class musicians eg, Dave Gregory (XTC) & Nick D'Virgillio on drums & a Brass Band ensemble, give English Electic Full Power a spin, there are still obvious Genesis influences here & there (particularly in the Song - The First Rebreather) & it that doesn't float your boat they're probably not for you.
i did get a free copy of Bard sent to me by the Band, I think, back in late 90s & it was awful, the singer sounded like nails down a blackboard.

Last edited:
Vast majority ...... unlistenable ?

No..If you think that don't bother with Gentle Giant haha
I love Gentle Giant, though I can see why others don't, the Drummer John Weathers is another of a long list of seriously underated Musicians.
Have you listened to Yes' - Open you Eyes album/Cd?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.