Jeremy Bamber and the Whitehouse farm murders

The itv programme was the first I’d heard of the case (I was only born at the end of 87), but the one thing I thought all throughout it and kept expecting it to come up was, couldn’t the police contact the phoneline provider and ask for a breakdown of calls made? Bills were posted monthly even back then I’d imagine with a call breakdown on it. If it’s on there, and the timings add up then that would be a massive defensive win.

The itv programme was the first I’d heard of the case (I was only born at the end of 87), but the one thing I thought all throughout it and kept expecting it to come up was, couldn’t the police contact the phoneline provider and ask for a breakdown of calls made? Bills were posted monthly even back then I’d imagine with a call breakdown on it. If it’s on there, and the timings add up then that would be a massive defensive win.

Back then, the rules regarding submission and disclosure of evidence were much different than today, so maybe they did, and it didn't help them, but in any case, his own defence should have followed that line of inquiry, again, maybe they did, and it didn't help them.

I've not watched the series yet although I do remember it originally, I thought Sheila Caffell was gorgeous, which kinda led me astray from paying too much attention to the evidence.

It was good and I enjoyed it but thought it went at least 2 episodes to long . The actor who played Stan is superb .

From wiki:
After Bamber telephoned the police, a British Telecom operator checked the White House Farm line—at 3:56 am according to the police log, and at 4:30 am according to the Court of Appeal—and found that the line was open. The operator could hear a dog barking.[86] According to British Telecom (which did not at the time keep records of local calls), if Nevill had telephoned Bamber without replacing the receiver, the line between them would have remained open for between eight and 16 minutes. Bamber would therefore not have been able to use his telephone to report the call to the police immediately, as he said he did in one statement; in another statement he said he had first telephoned his girlfriend, Julie Mugford, in London.[87][82][88] That the line would not have cleared is one of several disputed points.[89]

I was convinced he was guilty until the last four minutes when his girlfriend revealed what a weirdo she was.
Communing with ghosts, never snitched on him despite knowing what he planned to do and to cap it all considered herself a “victim” but couldn’t wait to sell her story to the press.
It was only her evidence that convicted him.

Last edited:
I was convinced he was guilty until the last four minutes when his girlfriend revealed what a weirdo she was.
Communing with ghosts, never snitched on him despite knowing what he planned to do and to cap it all considered herself a “victim”.
It was only her evidence that convicted him.
And the silencer

Not really.
If the silencer was used it rules out the sister.
It does not convict Bamber, just implicates A.N.Other.

I am no Bamber supporter, but if the series if accurate I doubt he would have been convicted today if it had been investigated in such a cack handed way.
Although, of course, forensics are much more sophisticated now, so who knows?

Not really.
If the silencer was used it rules out the sister.
It does not convict Bamber, just implicates A.N.Other.

I am no Bamber supporter, but if the series if accurate I doubt he would have been convicted today if it had been investigated in such a cack handed way.
Although, of course, forensics are much more sophisticated now, so who knows?

Its hard to compare to modern day - just shows how far trials / police work has come.

I think this was a clear case of him or his sister and a modern forensic reconstruction would have proved there was no way she would have been able to kill them all in that manner / sequence with the old man able to make a phone call after being shot. I think there must have been a silencer on the gun and again that would likely have been proven with modern technique.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.