UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, over 2000 pages.
I hope one by-product of all this is that the thread will overtake that godawful bre**t thread by the time Madrid comes around.
Not a hope, that's the 7th or 8th incarnation of the Brexit thread and all were at least 1000 pages long.

I say in Part 2 of my articles that we don't know if we were at the hearing but every AC states that under Article 20 "Written observations 1 The CFCB chairman invites the defendant to submit its written observations within a suitable time limit. 2 After the submission of the written observations, no further documents may be submitted to the adjudicatory chamber by the defendant, except in exceptional circumstances and with the consent of the CFCB chairman."

Article 21 deals with hearings.

So are we happy that our 200 page document was submitted within the agreed time scale or is this unknown? If I’ve understood correctly if we tried to submit it after the submission date they would be within their rights not to consider it. The club wouldn’t have made a schoolboy error by getting it in late, would they?

If City had unrestricted spending and Mansour had the mood (maybe after being cleared of wrongdoing and dismantling FFP) then our rivals would be fucked. Unless they got bought out themselves, theres no way they could compete if the owners wanted to make it that way. Wolves might be our closest competitor.

Football probably does need some sort of financial control if you want a relatively even playing field and for the finances to spin out of control. I actually dont think many people would disagree with that if they detached it from the fact that FFP wasnt about that, it was about specifically hampering us.

The problem with people like Delaney is that he will die on a hill defending FFP, a form of financial control rotten from its inception and never aimed at ensuring the things he says he wants.

If someone sensible actually came up with a financial system where no one was allowed to out spend the rest 5 to 1 evety year but also new owners could raise their clubs to the top table, I think most of us would be ok with it.

I think this is fair. Financial controls of some sort are a good thing; FFP as is is twisted, which you and Nicholas van Whatsisface seem to agree on.

And I agree, I think City would have bought a 100M player without thinking too hard. It may have come down to PSG, City and similar coming to an agreement of who they would chase or avoid, but I don't think money would have stopped anything.

That's pure conjecture though. You may be right, but our owners' stated desire to see a self-sustaining model suggests we would always have our self-imposed limits.

And I think we're talking crossed purposes. My point is that clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona and Liverpool clearly don't need protecting from anyone, never mind City - they're quite happy to grossly inflate the market all by themselves. FFP is plainly ineffective if this is the point. As you say - it's designed to lock in those self-same clubs, and to keep out any competition outside of the G14.

Delaney didn't say that though - he said it was to protect these clubs from PSG, United and City. Which a typically ill-informed, agenda-driven load of drivel from a talentless reporter with no interest in exploring the facts behind any of the positions he takes.

Ok so even if Mansour didn't want to do it, someone else would. The Saudi's, Jeff Bezos, whoever would sooner rather than later fancy doing a modern version of Abramovic but with 10x the cash.

And in that situation member owned clubs like Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern and even a City dedicated to being self sufficient, would be dead in the water competitively.

So when the talentless reporter in question says clubs need some protection, he's not completely wrong, he's just wrong that FFP is an acceptable form of that.

The other thing of course is he disagrees with your position (rightly or wrongly) that Abu Dhabi wouldn't start spending insane amounts without regulation.

What about a bit of zeugma?

Ok, I’ll take my coat and my leave!
Ah, good old zeugma, not as exciting as epanalepsis. You may not find that in the dictionary as it is a transliteration of a greek figure of speech similar to paraprosdokian.

Ok so even if Mansour didn't want to do it, someone else would. The Saudi's, Jeff Bezos, whoever would sooner rather than later fancy doing a modern version of Abramovic but with 10x the cash.

And in that situation member owned clubs like Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern and even a City dedicated to being self sufficient, would be dead in the water competitively.

So when the talentless reporter in question says clubs need some protection, he's not wrong, he's just wrong that FFP is an acceptable form of that.

And he’s wrong that there is anything in the clear facts in question here to suggest they need protecting from City. The reason he brought our club into a story which (on the face of it) very clearly has nothing to do with us, is because he can’t help himself in making everything that’s bad in football somehow about City.

So a story about Nasser al-Khelaifi’s alleged misconduct, and his apparent strategy to deliberately inflate the market at PSG, becomes an ill-conceived attempt to draw City into the narrative as part of the problem - when the facts just don’t support him.

That’s the very definition of an agenda - and that’s my point.

But I think we broadly agree with each other anyway, so let’s stop derailing the thread any further!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.