Sterling : City not treated with same respect as Liverpool - Cites 0 PFA Awards despite titles

Will David Silva conclude his ten years at The Etihad by being ignored again? Has he ever been recognised apart from, perhaps, when he made Garth Crooks' TotW after yet another unbelievable masterclass of midfield artistry and wizardry? The sky blue shirt has acted as a millstone round his neck when accolades were being awarded. Mind, it just shows the people who determine such awards don't, as we suspected, know a football from a corner flag!

He’s only been our player of the year once though. Can’t complain he’s been ignored when we’ve ignored him too.

There's a lot of disrespect in terms of reporting on City, agree completely. But on this specific issue, I think our squad is that good that it's almost an implicit mark of respect to not have any PFA winners.

Put Aguero in Tottenham or Kompany in United or Yaya in Leicester and they'd have 3 or 4 PFA awards.

This year might be different though because we've not done so well so KDB looks like a stand-out player.
I agree with this. In addition though, Liverpool players have performed at a consistent level, with no real stand out performers. This could be the year KDB wins it.

I was speaking to a United fan today and he thinks KDB is by far the best player in the league this season.

Are these awards around the time of the Carabau Cup final? If so, the players might be voting on the awards now, which might have promoted the conversation.

The only surprise is that it’s taken somebody at the club to say something publicly. The absolute hatred of us is as obvious as a cock on a nun, yet some choose to ignore it say some of our fan base are paranoid.

I must admit I’m starting to feed off the hatred though. :-)

Yeah, there’s a few gobshites who couldn’t wait for his dip of form so they could get on his back after having to keep schtum for the best part of two years.
I’m quite sure he’s aware that he’s not been at his best and was unlikely to win any awards this team around but hey, it’s nice to hear he feels the same as the vast majority of our fanbase.
The odd exceptions who disagree with him put themselves straight into the suspicious category..

Above all, there's not one word in his statement that suggests he thinks he deserves it. What he's pointing out is that there is a gigantic elephant in the room, namely that a team that is four times EPL champions — four — in well under a decade and doesn't get POTY at least once in those four seasons, there's something mighty odd going on. David Silva or Vin Kompany in 2011-12, Yaya in 2013-14, KDB in 2017-18, Raheem himself in 2018-19, Sergio in any of those four. All of them are extremely strong shouts.

In Agüero’s first season in 2011-12, when he scored 30 goals including the greatest goal of all time.

Robin van Persie won POTS.

Kyle Walker won Young POTS!

In 2013-14 Yaya probably put in the best season anyone did all decade, scoring 20+ goals from midfield and was untouchable in almost every game.

Luis Suarez won POTS.

I quote from, I think, extracts from an article in the Irish Times after the FWAs of 2013-14:

"AS Liverpool buckled this past fortnight, the scale of the surrender to sentiment and the Great Myth of Steven Gerrard became apparent. Essentially the leader who went AWOL at the decisive hour, who could offer only blubbering sobs when his troops needed direction, who abandoned his post in the heat of battle, somehow emerged with a Purple Heart pinned to his tear-stained chest. Even the Fourth Estate chose to raise the white flag to the fairy story of Stevie G when the Football Writers’ Association arrived at the absurd conclusion that here was the second-best performer in the Premier League over the past nine months.

Straight faces were maintained at their London hooley as they deemed Gerrard’s body of work superior to Eden Hazard and, quite preposterously, Yaya Toure, the peerless touchstone against whom every midfield portfolio must be measured.

In terms of leadership and inspiration at critical junctures from its midfield talisman, the contribution of Toure – one which goes way beyond his stunning 20 league goals input – dwarfs that of Gerrard, renders it a nothing.

It says much for the Englishman’s genius for self-promotion that he would garner more first preference votes than the transcendent Ivorian in the Player of the Year poll conducted by those who scribble about the game on a daily basis. Here is a triumph of mush over substance, the creation of the greatest fable since the days of Aesop.

Of those who can loosely be termed midfielders, he trailed Toure, Hazard, David Silva, Willian, Fernandinho, Adam Lallana, Santi Cazorla and, perhaps, Henderson. Aaron Ramsey in his three months of fitness was a vividly more stellar figure.

The only problem is when the truth intrudes upon the narrative. Like when night fell for Liverpool supporters on Sunday as City – despite being stripped of their world-class striker for most of the season – were crowned champions for the second time in three seasons. Led by Toure, a midfield player from a different continent to Gerrard by birth; and a different planet when it comes to leadership and achievement."

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.