u18s vs Liverpool

2-4 close to the end. McAtee and Palmer with the 3rd and 4th (from Man City Academy Twitter).

9 points in front but Liverpool have 2 games in hand, that was our 16th game out of 22. GD is +39 (54F, 15A) and the head to head against Liverpool is 5-2 & 2-4 so very much the best team in the Northern league. Poor Sunderland's record is P13, L13, GD -45 (F8, A53)

Really windy conditions today but at least no rain as they had away at Reading last week but 2 wins in a row and 9 goals scored is an excellent effort.
Liam Delap is a serious prospect and showed it early with his fantastic run and goal to set the game up perfectly. I would say he was 2nd best for the ball close to the half way line but his speed and power brushed him past their center back and as he bore down on goal their keeper gave hin a good sight of the far corner and in it went.

We were with the wind first half and it probably gave us a slight advantage as Pool werent always able to clear easily but as we play the ball on the ground all the time the wind effect for attacking was minimal. The one thing we didn't do was make use of the wind for corners. We had enough but Palmer couldnt get them into the right area.

Our 2nd goal came when Hodge found a good pocket for a through ball to beat their press , then to Palmer and Edozie who scored off the underside of the bar.They had moments , one crucial block by Egan Riley plus the ref spotting a hand ball when they thought they had equalized.

Then into the wind and with us playing the ball around at the back LPool really pressed high and even when we tried hoofing it the ball came back so plenty of pressure. Or 3rd was a superb break away started by Delap to Palmer to Edozie and then across to McAtee to sweep in. I had hoped that was it but LPool scored when we failed to get he ball away and it was smashed in from 18 yards.

Then some good play by their 10 and it was 3.2 and the worries were there. The game had become quite feisty too with tackles flying in and players on both sides crowding the ref for decisions. Not 100% sure who was booked for us but I think Palmer, McAtee , probably Delap who are key attacking players so it shows what was going on. The final goal from Palmer was nice. Quick free kick got him free in the box , he took it round the keeper and that was that.

A very good team effort as i said in terrible conditions. The pitch used is wide open to the elements and some of the windy gusts were strong. Plenty of good individual performances but overall a team effort.

Taylor Harwood Bellis taken off with maye 25 minutes left. I assume that was planned but he got good game time before the cup final coming soon. Delap was also taken off early. He did get a bit of an injury just before half time but it could also have been so he didn't get a red card ! He's a feisty player playing in a feisty game so probably a good decision.

Sorry, I've watched the young lads,for to
Many years without a path to our 1st team
How can you defend the club

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.