Lord Steel aware Cyril Smith was abusing boys

It's despicable that he will now disappear from public life with a cosy little pension not giving a flying fuck about the families he could have prevented going through terrible distress

Should be convicted of aiding him and hung as an example too all the others in power.

No one has ever explained why Paedophilia was just accepted and ignored in the 60's and 70's. We were all warned as children about not getting into cars with strangers etc but all the adults seem to know abuse was going on by the vicar/choirmaster/scout leader. Hell I knew Smith was bent in the 70's as a teenager, all the liberal Party were bent and yet no one bothered about it.

Before the Libs have ago, that poor dog did not deserve to be shot !
I think rape in general wasn't taken seriously. To be honest, we're only just getting to the stage where rape of women is taken seriously, and rape of men still isn't. But I think it's more a case of valuing the reputation of certain organisations above the victims, be it a church, a political party or a charity. That and not wanting to rock the boat with powerful people.

I remember watching that Stacey Dooley documentary about Japan where they were basically pimping out school girls on the streets of Tokyo and when the police arrived, it was the documentary crew that got into trouble for shining a light on things rather than the people who were abusing underage girls. A lot of people just prefer to pretend that these things don't happen and not think about them. And if you can dehumanize the victims (e.g. they're all sluts and bad girls anyway), all the better to help you not see it as a problem.

Having said all that, I think in most cases, people were operating on rumours and speculation, rather than concrete facts that someone was a child abuser.

No one has ever explained why Paedophilia was just accepted and ignored in the 60's and 70's. We were all warned as children about not getting into cars with strangers etc but all the adults seem to know abuse was going on by the vicar/choirmaster/scout leader. Hell I knew Smith was bent in the 70's as a teenager, all the liberal Party were bent and yet no one bothered about it.

Before the Libs have ago, that poor dog did not deserve to be shot !
I read that as Philadelphia. I thought this was strange as I can only remember having dairylea in the 70's.

I think rape in general wasn't taken seriously. To be honest, we're only just getting to the stage where rape of women is taken seriously, and rape of men still isn't. But I think it's more a case of valuing the reputation of certain organisations above the victims, be it a church, a political party or a charity. That and not wanting to rock the boat with powerful people.

I remember watching that Stacey Dooley documentary about Japan where they were basically pimping out school girls on the streets of Tokyo and when the police arrived, it was the documentary crew that got into trouble for shining a light on things rather than the people who were abusing underage girls. A lot of people just prefer to pretend that these things don't happen and not think about them. And if you can dehumanize the victims (e.g. they're all sluts and bad girls anyway), all the better to help you not see it as a problem.

Having said all that, I think in most cases, people were operating on rumours and speculation, rather than concrete facts that someone was a child abuser.

Excellent post. As you say, to show the church (or any other organisation) in a bad light was just not done. I now know of an individual in the local church who was moved when he was found out and of course that is now being reported within the Catholic Church at large. And again your last paragraph, dehumanise the victims, Only now do we consider children in care who have been sexually abused as victims, back then they were sluts who probably wanted it. Hell that generation were fucked up.

That the Westminster dossier went missing is one of the great scandals of our time, yet it attracts very, very little media attention. Why is that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.