COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the reality is that this disease has been out in front of the efforts to contain it for a couple of months already. For every confirmed case their will be 10 more who just don't have severe symptoms and don't recognize it and don't seek help therefore don't get counted. There is almost no point now in worrying about where it is - you should switch your focus on to assuming it is out there and doing what you can to avoid it. We are already in to a kind of risk evaluation process - risks are very low that yiou will catch it but still how much do you need to travel/attend large gatherings. This will get very tricky for businesses who will have to make those decisions for their staff and customers. In work we have already been assessing the impact of maximising work from home (we think we can operate with roughly 7/10 working at home almost semi permanent). This is office based work - if your in an environment with lots of people and contained in a small space then its going to be much harder, I wouldn't want to be air hostess or similar.
All good points and describes well the position businesses are in specifically at this point.

I would say, though, that the chances of contracting are probably not as low you think, especially given you are very much right about it being well ahead of efforts toward containment at this point (mostly due to the abnormally long incubation period and high R0, which will be compounded by economic constraints, like many people not being able to financially tolerate a two week self-isolation).

If the cruise isn't cancelled then by hook or by crook I'll be in Italy to get on the boat and crack on. Might mean travelling to Italy a day early to hopefully negate any potential problems on the day.

Ryanair and BA have just cancelled a load of flights due to decreased demand so you might be in luck if Easyjet follow suit.
We’ve found the index patient for... err, where do you live?

Italy cases up to 2,032 and now 52 deaths - the amount of infections must be significantly higher than being reported

Pisses me off that some people down play it and are so ignorant to claim it won’t kill them even if they got it. I’ve got breathing problems so it will be worrying if the outbreak gets worst over here, which it obviously will do in the next few weeks.

Pisses me off that some people down play it and are so ignorant to claim it won’t kill them even if they got it. I’ve got breathing problems so it will be worrying if the outbreak gets worst over here, which it obviously will do in the next few weeks.
You and me both. I may go into hibernation. I was planning at least a month of it in May anyway when the dippers get the trophy presented

I genuinely hope you don’t get it pal and I wish you all the best but it’s got about a 1% mortality rate, that’s why most aren’t arsed. Everyone thinks selfishness in these cases.

I genuinely hope you don’t get it pal and I wish you all the best but it’s got about a 1% mortality rate, that’s why most aren’t arsed. Everyone thinks selfishness in these cases.
It does not currently have an estimated mortality rate of 1%, it is between 2-4% depending on sources/time/location, and especially not in people with high-risk pre-existing medical conditions (it’s much higher), which is the case for a fairly large portion of the world population. Not to mention the mortality rate will increase if the healthcare system is overwhelmed with severe cases, which is likely if serious containment and slowing of transmission is not achieved given the current estimated severe case rate is 15-25%, depending on sources/time/location.

Which is one of the many reasons why most people not being arsed is a big problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.