BBC

I don’t mind it either and given the output, local radio etc it’s an important part of the national fabric of this country that helps bind it together.
I am a big fan myself of the radio output,6 radio,4 extra,radio 1 and on the sounds app I get loads of podcasts and not having to listen to a single advert is just fine by me.

I am a big fan myself of the radio output,6 radio,4 extra,radio 1 and on the sounds app I get loads of podcasts and not having to listen to a single advert is just fine by me.

Radio 6 Music is the only thing I listen to in the car. Wife and I love the Kermode and Mayo film podcasts too.

So now it's a "moral" thing that we keep paying for a "service" the majority of people don't want or no longer support?

And it is a majority, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we. But then there's the issues "YOU believe it's madness" to want to get rid of the licence fee. It's not the 1950's, there is more choice and many people don't give two figs about the BBC and the licence fee. You know what they do care about? Being at risk of a criminal offence for not paying to support ONE institution that they disagree with which serves very little purpose in a world of choice. Many people don't want to pay a charge just for watching TV anymore. If the majority voice wins out and the licence fee is scrapped, who are you to force them to continue to pay for something the collective does not want?

Because you want them to pay for BBC programming for you. That's the reality of the situation. Would your concern be as strong if the licence fee meant you could continue watching ITV content for free, for example?

You believe that it is not a public service, it is a public a service that many in the country benefit from having.

There are issues with the current funding model, I'd personally prefer incorporating the cost into our income taxes.

What I want is for everyone to pay towards the BBC that provides a necessary public service with programming for everyone (that includes you and me). That's the actual reality of the situation.

You believe that it is not a public service, it is a public a service that many in the country benefit from having.

There are issues with the current funding model, I'd personally prefer incorporating the cost into our income taxes.

What I want is for everyone to pay towards the BBC that provides a necessary public service with programming for everyone (that includes you and me). That's the actual reality of the situation.

A public service is something that helps or assists the public. How does the BBC do that ? They do not provide anything that other broadcasters don't. They are outdated, over funded and virtually unaccountable, ( which every public service should be) Yes they do have some good radio/tv programmes on but the point is people are forced to pay for them whether they watch it or not. I am happy to pay for schools, libraries etc even though I do not use them as they are there for the benefit of the community at large, the BBC isn't.

And I don't. You said recently that ITV was shit. That's your opinion. If the licence fee was scrapped and the "public service" was made ITV, would you be advocating that channel as a "Public service" instead?

So it is "Pay for MY BBC, Dammit", isn't it. Sorry but many people have had enough of that concept and support for the corporation, hence the conversation about the fee being scrapped and the BBC made a subscription service.

They do not provide anything that other broadcasters don't.

Which other TV providers create shows of the quality of wild life show like the David Attenborough /Brian Cox stuff?, none at the moment. even the national geographic stuff isn't a patch on it.

Its possible without the BBC the likes of Netflix would invest in something like it but odds are against it.

I dont see why I have to pay a licence fee

I dont watch anything on the bbc.
All bbc radio is shite.
Anything I watch is streamed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.