US Soccer: Male footballers should earn more than women

Women in sport.

They should only receive equal pay if they represent their country from a Government funded enterprise. (The FA isn't government funded)

Otherwise, their pay should be market lead based on incoming revenue generated from their marketability.

I think that is is right that there should be checks on gender equality to make sure they are receiving pay in the same ratio as men based on the income generated.

It's simple really.

(The bigger issue is pay caps.
Either both have them, or none at all)

Last edited:
I get the argument, but in reality this equal pay is going to be anything but equal anyway, because the men's team will have lucrative club contracts too. If the male and female England players were getting paid the same, the men would still be earning millions more. I kind of get US Soccer's point of view. If FIFA refuse to give the same prize money, then it's not up to them to redistribute it (although they obviously could). In reality, the only way it is going to happen would be if the men's and women's World Cup were sold together as a package. That's the only reason it works with things like tennis. If you had separate men's and women's tennis tournaments, then you'd inevitably find that the men's brought in more money and could give more prize money. Having said that, I'm not sure that people care too much about seeing the best of a particular sport. Certainly in America, it seems like audiences would rather watch the women win the World Cup than watch the men fail to qualify in a better standard football match. Nobody watches Jessica Ennis at the Olympics and is unimpressed because the men run faster.

I think people want to be entertained, often the most entertaining sport is that played at the highest level. I get there are other factors too, such as success, hype, profile, or if you have loyalty or an affiliation to an athlete or club, you're more invested and therefore more entertained. Let's be honest as well, look at Anna Kournikova, sex sells. She's far from the greatest female tennis player, but one of the most famous, and earned considerably more from endorsements than prize money.

If you want equal pay, your sport needs to be equally as appealing one way or another. Unfortunately for Megan Rapione, that doesn't simply mean being a woman (unless you're mega fit).

No, both male and female athletes, representing their countries in the same sports should have pay parity. The same as if I were working in a company doing the same role as a female then I would expect pay parity.

With sports that are at domestic level and or non representative international competition, run by individual bodies, specifically for male only, or female only, then each competition will have their own pay structure.

However if male and female play each other, or with each other in the same event then both should be equally paid!

That’s my opinion, and I won’t change that!

simple way to settle it is men’s vs women’s team

however much the men win by they get paid that much times more than the women

It’s quite obvious that by nature, all things else on level playing field, that men will always be able to produce a higher level in a physical sport or job than women

therefore pay should be higher too, unless comparing popularity of the respective men or women’s team , in which it is the same bar a few exceptions like USA women’s team who might attract more commercially

you cannot compare this with other jobs like doctor, solicitor, accountant where a man and woman would generally produce a comparable standard/output of work

Last edited:
In sport every 'job' is different as it is entirely down to ability driving market worth for each individual. Sport is more meritocratic than most industries, and equal pay claims from different cohorts are very disingenuous, when players in the same cohorts can earn 1000 times more than each other.
Sorry Corky l listened at school so l know what a cohort is but l can only guess when people misuse it and other words like 'raft' and 'tranche' instead of good old fashioned English words everyone understands.

Sorry Corky l listened at school so l know what a cohort is but l can only guess when people misuse it and other words like 'raft' and 'tranche' instead of good old fashioned English words everyone understands.

It is what the Government has been using in the same context for the last 8 years.

Wondering whether people assigned male gender at birth should be allowed to self identify as female and play for a women's team. (Ducks).

It is what the Government has been using in the same context for the last 8 years.
Well l was going to say it is usually politicians and the chattering classes that use the these affected expressions and of course the specific Scottish legal term 'not proven' when they have a choice the correct proven and proved pronounced with a 'oo'.
I was unable to follow your bickering with Mid Wales Blue as l was losing the will to live. Just as l am no.....

Whoever get the most people in a stadium should get the most money nothing to do with what sex.

The City men's team attract 50 plus thousand people every other week , the women lucky if they get a couple of thousand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.