Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

I’m interested in what the potential long-term financial implications could be of all this. I think a lot of people expect League One and League Two teams to really struggle but most Championship and Premier League teams have huge cost bases that they can’t reduce easily and many have large debts to manage. They all have eye watering wage bills but everything holds together because they have huge revenues from TV and sponsors. So if we don’t see Football again until Sep 20 or Jan 21 or even Mar 21 what kind of position are the 20 Premier League clubs going to be in - if the TV revenue as expected drys up ! Someone like Spurs have gambled everything - no Football and no NFL could destroy them? I’m just thinking the haggling over the title or relegation may be the wrong debate. The very future of a few clubs could be at stake. I’d sooner bees than the Rags... this crisis could give us a huge financial advantage.

Depends how bad it gets I guess. Lower leagues will be suffering already. At the top level, there are lots of bonuses built into players contracts and I guess these income payments will be stopped.

and who wouldn't want to get behind Karen?
Brady or 7?

More seriously, the basic idea of a null and void season seems the simplest way of drawing a line under this season and to give people a definitive end. Players/Squads etc wouldn't be effected....but...as with everything I do think it is all down to the money.

Keeping the season open and simply putting off a decision stops the sponsors/creditors from coming in for their money. The lack of games on TV/satellite will have to be paid for in some way and I think that many more clubs will go to the wall. I really cannot see any football being played before August at the earliest or even the start of 2021

But then do we or should we care when it is all about peoples health?

Yes. It would help if PL, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga could harmonise their restarts. If some countries have started their 20/21 seasons and others are still playing their 19/20 seasons then 20/21 Cl can’t start as not all qualifiers would be known. Hence I expect UEFA will pressurise countries to draw a line under 19/20 season before September

And that's the issue. Everyone will have their own agenda, no more so that UEFA. When did Qualifying rounds start for the Champs league??? June I believe this season for 2019/20. No wriggle room left unless football re-starts in early April.....

And that's the issue. Everyone will have their own agenda, no more so that UEFA. When did Qualifying rounds start for the Champs league??? June I believe this season for 2019/20. No wriggle room left unless football re-starts in early April.....
If football has resumed in time they’ll probably finish this season’s cl in aug/sept and perhaps scrap the group stages for 20/21 and go straight to knock out?

If football has resumed in time they’ll probably finish this season’s cl in aug/sept and perhaps scrap the group stages for 20/21 and go straight to knock out?

I just don't see it. Even if they finish in Sept as per your note, UEFA would loose out on so much money by doing what you suggest for next season... Euro 2020 needs to be factored in also. Its going to take 2 months minimum to finish this season (10 league games, FA Cup, Champs League, Uefa League) I just don't see it being feasible, unless it kicks in fully in early April which is surely fanciful.... Players need time off also, contracts finish end of June. Qatar 2022 isn't that far off in the great scheme of things and that's messing schedules up as it is....

Only 1 option looming, cancel this season and hope things are ok (relatively) by Sept!!

I’m interested in what the potential long-term financial implications could be of all this. I think a lot of people expect League One and League Two teams to really struggle but most Championship and Premier League teams have huge cost bases that they can’t reduce easily and many have large debts to manage. They all have eye watering wage bills but everything holds together because they have huge revenues from TV and sponsors. So if we don’t see Football again until Sep 20 or Jan 21 or even Mar 21 what kind of position are the 20 Premier League clubs going to be in - if the TV revenue as expected drys up ! Someone like Spurs have gambled everything - no Football and no NFL could destroy them? I’m just thinking the haggling over the title or relegation may be the wrong debate. The very future of a few clubs could be at stake. I’d sooner bees than the Rags... this crisis could give us a huge financial advantage.

Spurs were the first club to spring to mind. Then again, Levy and Lewis will probably try to get away with paying their players Statutory Sick Pay of £90-odd a week while all this is going on!

Latest Public Health England document seen by Guardian says four in five ‘expected’ to contract virus
and to last until spring 2021. That's potentially half of next season gone, never mind this one.

Latest Public Health England document seen by Guardian says four in five ‘expected’ to contract virus
and to last until spring 2021. That's potentially half of next season gone, never mind this one.

Half of next season gone is what you would take from that news ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.