COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
But pretty much every country in the world is in a similar situation. The ventilators are specifically needed to combat ARDS which is what gets you in the end with COVID but also with other Influenza like Infections ILIs. There have been some very serious flu outbreaks in recent years(look here at the death rates in flu season) so my assumption was they must have had a reasonable amount. I made a wrong assumption. as I initially did with the severity of COVID. I'm more than willing to admit it.
I’m not looking for you to justify your previous stance, mate. We’ve all misread this at times. Anyone who scores points over that is out of order.

Was genuinely wondering what you thought about the ventilator situation. Thanks for your comprehensive reply :-)

The NHS has been stripped to the bare bones by 10 years of neglect and I know there's a separate politics thread but that's just a fact. We have 75% of the hospital beds we had in 2007.
I think this is a fair discussion for this thread as long as it doesn’t involved attribution to particular party, official, or platform.

If we can discuss it in the abstract as you have it should stay here as it is a very real issue that will impact the current crisis.

But we are not. Lots more died in WW1

I'm not really talking about which awful period of our history is going to win the death tally count. Once again we clearly have a very different definition of what fucked is.

Just to butt in but the ICL projections today are suggesting 7,000-20,000 deaths if we put in place the measures they've already said we will. Not 250,000.

Also it won't be 18 months suppression but 3-5, followed by a few relapses which if the vaccine or antibody comes quickly might not happen.

This is what I mean by saying I'm not as panicked as I was 2 hours ago. The fear and doom-mongerers will always come in first and take the worst figures out of context to scare people, and then the real figures come out a bit later.

That's not to underestimate it, this is a major event in human history, but deaths just went from 500,000 to 20,000 in a few comments.

Minimum one year for the vaccine though right at very very best? Read many reports suggesting 18 months.

That's really not the same as " I saw this coming"
I haven’t made any reference to that? The post of yours I quoted was your response to this post:
i know you’ve been defending the government, and I think it’s all too easy to criticise; they’ve got a ridiculously difficult job to do at the moment, but the ventilator situation is absolutely disgraceful.

I assume I posted, but I certainly thought it was coming. How could I not, in the world we lived in back then?

Sorry mate Ive read that a few times and am still not getting your point. My point is, as bad as this is, our predecessors have seen much worse, coped with it, helped each other, and come out the other end of it. We will too.

Yes. Absolutely. I’m not trying to give it the big one btw. I don’t need to. I’m confident enough in my self not to feel the need to lie about something like that. I’ve got plenty if predictions spectacularly wrong btw.

Assumed everyone thought the same. The interconnected world we lived in saw to it, surely.

Too harsh that, they were modelling scenarios on a new virus with practically no reliable observable data, so they had to make best guesses for some parameters, for example the proportion of ICU beds required for COVID19 patients - they used the figure for viral pneumonia because that was the closest parallel they had reliable data for - now that more COVID19 data is becoming available it's clear that the proportion of ICU beds needed is much higher. Parameterised modelling is a whole lot easier when there's a solid base of data to work with.

Fair enough mate. I'm not handling this well to be honest so maybe it was a bit harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.