COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I`m saying Pablo is that too many people react negatively at the thought of something which is "out of the ordinary" and can`t cope with it/change.As I`ve said in a jokingly fashion on another post I`m certain some people think this the end of humanity.They need to get a grip.
I'm staying fairly upbeat myself considering the circumstances but I'm quite lucky compared to many over here. The way I see it, for an awful lot of people who were already teetering and barely surviving on a weekly wage, this could feel like the end for them and their families. I can understand the angst they must feel so I'm willing to overlook any posts that seem like doom and gloom and appreciate their circumstances could be bleak.
Not to say I won't also appreciate the humour, because once we lose that then there's not much left is there.

The reason why people are panic buying in a nutshell, this is advice from hell isn't it? Two weeks isolation for everyone living in the same household without trips for food or essentials. People look like they have bought heavily on a hunch and that hunch is hitting home.

The advice also applies to those who appear healthy but live with those exhibiting symptoms. 'That means that, if possible, you should not go out, even to buy food or essentials, other than for exercise and, in that case, at a safe distance from others,' he advised.

That isn't going to happen. Look at the chaos in supermarkets after just a few days. You will need troops everywhere as looting will become rife when people's food runs out and stores don't get refilled. Anywhere rumoured to have food will be targeted, then it will be individual houses. Hey kids are stabbing people to death now for looking at them the wrong way, they will have no hesitation once they start going hungry. If it was one or two countries they would get aid but this is affecting every country so it will be everyone for themselves. People are panicking now after a week, imagine 18 months?

it doesn't have to be like that. We had 4 years of war here with situation no 18 months of this shit will ever produce in UK. People were literally eating a grass, basic food was costing a fortune, the furniture was used for heating and when it was burnt, you'd just go with -20 celsius without heating and it was mostly the most moral and responsible period of this nation ever. t needs strong government to shut down the minority who start acting wrong/dangerous, but the majority get used living like shit and people become much better than in good times.

Precisely when you are aware that you have an underfunded NHS, especially weak in intensive care,
it's even more logical to act quick and strict to flatten the curve. What's the point?
The strategy discussion shouldn't even exist.

The strategical idea should be to not overwhelm the NHS in the near future
and to win time to:

- ramp up capacities for equipment of all sorts
- aquire more prepared medical staff
- change daily routines of the entire nation to permannetly practice hygiene and necessary social distance (not isolation)

in order to be better prepared for the next wave that will inevitably arrive come December.
In the meantime we will go on developing a vaccine.

We have to go on/off with suppression as we need some relief inbetween, summer should at least help a bit.

Returning to lockdown later could work well, as humans adapt to situations, the learning curve will go up,
creative solutions arise and we will have seen ugly results of the first wave.

There is another aspect:

Those 250,000 or whatever deaths is the assessment for the whole pandemic (that means over let's say 3 years)
is derived from cases and mortality rate.
I have the impression some on here think those figures could be reached til summer.

As I said in an earlier post: we have to change anyway, as we have many more other fundamental problems on this planet
covering the question "how shall we live". We will find solutions - as we have to.

it doesn't have to be like that. We had 4 years of war here with situation no 18 months of this shit will ever produce in UK. People were literally eating a grass, basic food was costing a fortune, the furniture was used for heating and when it was burnt, you'd just go with -20 celsius without heating and it was mostly the most moral and responsible period of this nation ever. t needs strong government to shut down the minority who start acting wrong/dangerous, but the majority get used living like shit and people become much better than in good times.

A totally different, tougher and I would say more servile to authority, as in "They know best" public than now. Generations were used to tough lives and national service, strict discipline in schools and prisons. These days nobody wants to be told what to do and they have a meltdown if the lattee machine breaks.

The UK strategy was so fucking wrong from the very beginning that I seriously don't understand how anyone could have come with such idea that you are delaying anything (like NHS capacity problems) by giving a virus a total free ride. Where is any kind of bloody delay there? Instead of going hard on it, closing society as much as you can to buy yourself a time, you're going weak at time you're least prepared and most vulnerable. Beyond stupid that.

Last edited:
A totally different, tougher and I would say more servile to authority, as in "They know best" public than now. Generations were used to tough lives and national service, strict discipline in schools and prisons. These days nobody wants to be told what to do and they have a meltdown if the lattee machine breaks.

I partly agree with that. We lived in communism before the war and were generally much more disciplined. But I still think that people will adjust their behavior in times of struggle. It might need more time today though,

The UK strategy was so fucking wrong from the very beginning that I seriously don't understand how anyone could have come with such idea that you are delaying anything (like BHS capacity problems) by giving a virus a total free ride. Where is any kind of bloody delay there? Instead of going hard on it, closing society as much as you can to buy yourself a time, you're going weak at time you're least prepared and most vulnerable. Beyond stupid that.

The first case of it happening here is when we should have shut the borders, for the sake of either appeasing big business or god forbid appearing xenophobic the checks of people coming into the country specially from the worse affected areas was appalling at best and criminal at worst.

I partly agree with that. We lived in communism before the war and were generally much more disciplined. But I still think that people will adjust their behavior in times of struggle. It might need more time today though,

They'll have little choice, though I suspect the youngsters will gather at house parties and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.