Arsenal thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'll tell you a stat that you might find surprising. I might be wrong, so correct me if am, but I think that only Liverpool have conceded less goals in the league than Arsenal since Arteta has been in charge. And that's mainly choosing from Sokratis, Luiz & Mustafi at centre half, & playing an 18 year old left winger at left back.
*It helps we had our game against you guys postponed lol.

@GunnerGer what happened to that left back you signed from Celtic in the Summer? - Tierney?

Looked very good for Celtic and I was Interested to see how he was doing.

Also how are Arsenal playing? - strong defensive midfield like Liverpool? - I cannot see you having such a good defensive record with those defenders if you are playing a City type midfield setup.

@GunnerGer what happened to that left back you signed from Celtic in the Summer? - Tierney?

Looked very good for Celtic and I was Interested to see how he was doing.

Also how are Arsenal playing? - strong defensive midfield like Liverpool? - I cannot see you having such a good defensive record with those defenders if you are playing a City type midfield setup.

Been injured most of the season mate. He was injured a lot of last season for Celtic, apparently had some sort of chronic thing to do with a pubic / pelvis problem, so we had to wait a while to get him back from that & manage his fitness, then he proceeded to dislocate his shoulder vs West Ham I think so he needed surgery on that.

Think he was closing in on a return before football closed down. There's still high hopes for him because he did well mainly when he did play.

Also got the young centre back Saliba to come in from St Etienne. He's meant to be really highly rated but it would be a danger to overhype him too much, he's only 18 after all, but the little I've seen of him he seems to have the height, stature, athleticism & composure that none of Arsenal's current centre backs have really.

As for how we are playing, Arteta seems to favour a 4231 formation. This allows him to fit the likes of Aubameyang, Ozil, Lacazette, Pepe in the same team (if he chooses).

He has actually done what many scoffed that he couldn't do, and get us looking a bit more organised & structured, & stopped us in the main leaking chance after chance. Don't get me wrong, we still have our moments, as there's only so much you can do with the personnel there.

In doing so, the attack seems a bit more blunted. We lack creativity at times from midfield, Ozil isn't good enough any more, & we are playing Aubameyang wide when we really need him through the centre. He does ok there, but it's not his natural game, & we lack creativity there. Pepe has shown flashes, but nowhere near enough to justify his fee.

What we dont know yet, is what his vision is going forward, when he gets more of his players in. Everyone assumes Arsenals biggest need is better defenders. I'd argue that its more athletic, dynamic midfielders, of which we actually don't have any really. We need to replace the ikes of Ozil wisely, and then nurture the young players coming through, as there's a decent crop of 18-21 year olds with the likes of Saliba, Saka, Martinelli, Guendouzi, Nelson, Smith-Rowe coming through.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comprehensive response. It sounds like Arteta has done quite a lot in the time he has been there.

City did well with a 4-2-3-1 formation under Mancini but we had some very good players that suited that system. When it works it can be very effective - great memories of Sila, Nasri and Yaya pinging the ball around.

It is great as a fan when you get a new manager who seems to have direction and drive - Roberto Mancini was such a breath of fresh air at City. He may have had limitations but boy was he what the club needed at that time.

Thanks for the comprehensive response. It sounds like Arteta has done quite a lot in the time he has been there.

City did well with a 4-2-3-1 formation under Mancini but we had some very good players that suited that system. When it works it can be very effective - great memories of Sila, Nasri and Yaya pinging the ball around.

It is great as a fan when you get a new manager who seems to have direction and drive - Roberto Mancini was such a breath of fresh air at City. He may have had limitations but boy was he what the club needed at that time.

He's done quite well with the squad limitations that he has is a good summary. Things that you can see are an improvement, but an improvement in personnel is needed as well to kick on further.

We had lost our identity over the last couple of years. Even under Wengers 2nd half of his reign many thought we lacked a spine, but we always had good footballers all over the pitch, from the likes of Fabregas, Rosicky, Hleb on to Nasri, Wilshere, Arshavin, Arteta & Cazorla. We seemed to even lose a bit of that towards the end of Wengers reign, recruitment quality seemed to drop, & we spent big money on the likes of Xhaka & Mustafi. We never managed to get that solid spine, but the drop in quality football players was stark as well.

Then under Emery things were just so confused, he chopped & changed tactics, different lineups & formations, trying weird things like playing Ceballos deep & Torriera as the most advanced midfielder. You could just tell he had lost the players.

Arteta has came in & reset things a little in terms of structure again. He's carried himself really well, he speaks really well, & importantly he's got the players onside. There were doubts if he can be tough enough, & install discipline, but this is where he's pleasently surprised everyone the most. He demands professionalism & hard work, & we've already seen that with him dealing with the likes of Guendouzi, Ceballos, & Maitland-Niles quite tough.

Don't get me wrong, he still has a heck of a job on his hands. But I'm very glad now we've went down the route of a young hungry, highly rated coach with modern ideas techniques & a link to Arsenal, than going for what we were told were the more ambitious options of established managers like Mourinho & Ancelotti.

Would like to see us go for Auba this summer, in last year of his contract, gives tha option of a tall striker and would come at a reasonable price in today's market.

I know he is 30 but can give us a good couple of seasons. Moreover, since Aguero and Jesus would most likely stay, its a good third option to have rather than investing heavily into a young striker.

Moreover, who knows what impact covid might have on our finances, we might not have a huge transfer budget. Its a bit like RVP situation where it was a short term investment but it paid of for United

Would like to see us go for Auba this summer, in last year of his contract, gives tha option of a tall striker and would come at a reasonable price in today's market.

I know he is 30 but can give us a good couple of seasons. Moreover, since Aguero and Jesus would most likely stay, its a good third option to have rather than investing heavily into a young striker.

Moreover, who knows what impact covid might have on our finances, we might not have a huge transfer budget. Its a bit like RVP situation where it was a short term investment but it paid of for United

He might be tall, but not exactly prolific in the air. Moreover I think he'd want guaranteed playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.