Talk show hosts

Lovebitesandeveryfing

Don't know if this really merits its own thread, but we'll see if it touches a nerve.
I've been skipping around on Youtube looking at snippets from talk shows. More than usual, for the obvious reason. I don't own a tv and have never in my life owned one (this feels a bit like the formal declaration “I am not now and never have been a member of the Communist Party” that you used to have to sign to get into the United States. It is true, though).
I find myself quite critical of most of the hosts. Very few actually know how to listen, and when to put the question, and how to put it. How to draw their guests out of themselves. They seem to think that, well, really, it's about them. Letterman was one of the worst offenders in that respect. But I can't really stand any of the North American hosts. Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon seem to have nothing about them that interests me, and they're very gushy with their guests, I find.
Charlie Rose is pretty good, in a serious and even sombre kind of way. Not a lot of laughs, there, but then, that's not what he's about.
As for the Brits. I couldn't stand Norton at first, although I've grown used to his general style, and I must say he's good at thinking on his feet, and does genuinely seem to like his guests (even when there's some that he must, surely, dislike). In any case, he's either very curious about others, or an expert at faking it.
I cannot, at any price, take Jonathan Ross. Even one minute of him sets my teeth on edge.
Being of a generation that grew up with him, I thought Parky wasn't bad, although I did get tired of that Yorkshire drone, after (what seemed like) decades. He became just part of tv furniture (my family owned a tv, of course, and I had an overdose of it from childhood onwards).
Who do people like and dislike?

that's why podcasts usurp them, they don't give a platform for discussion they're just for soundbites. Graham Norton's is at least is so transparent that it's about marketing and plugging.

I liked Letterman years ago. Couldn't care less about them these days and don't watch any of them.
Although, That Oliver bloke can be quite funny sometimes. Jimmy Kimmel used to have a good show with Adam Carolla way back before he got a talk show.

Only one for me ... Parky.
He not only showed knowledge of his guests but he put them first and the show wasn`t about him.
Some very funny moments with Spike Milligan,Rod Hull,Peter Sellars,The Big Yin,etc.
The tops for me and the missus.

They are going to work to try us entertained and informed,why chose now to have a go?

Ant and dec did their show last night with no audience as did the last leg,they are all down to a skeleton staff of volunteers trying to keep tv going

Only one for me ... Parky.
He not only showed knowledge of his guests but he put them first and the show wasn`t about him.
Some very funny moments with Spike Milligan,Rod Hull,Peter Sellars,The Big Yin,etc.
The tops for me and the missus.
He slagged off jade goody before she was cold and had not been buried,he is a snobby ****

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.