Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

I wouldn’t disagree with any of that. All I would add, if I was going to give one or two of those officials the benefit of the doubt, Is maybe they are just trying to keep morale up, and give people something to hope for even if it’s unlikely. Nothing wrong with a bit of hope imho.
Its the hope that kills you

The possibility of football matches taking place inside empty stadiums in England during the coronavirus pandemic appears to be gathering momentum, with the PFA revealing most of its members accept there is now “no alternative

PFA deputy chief executive, Bobby Barnes: - Reluctance of players to compete behind closed doors has shifted - Football has a responsibility to try and lift the nation at a time of global crisis - Negotiations will be held over player salary deferrals

Bobby Barnes: - The PFA’s £55 million cash reserves will be made available for members who are experiencing hardship - A 24-hour wellbeing hotline is among the other provisions to help to support players in need

@David_Ornstein
What a bunch of self serving twats, they are the only ones who give a flying fuck about football at the moment, however much they keep deluding themselves that the public at large give a shit whether the season finishes or not!

Coronavirus bill about to come into place, giving the government ability to restrict events and venues.

Assume this will be extremely relevant to the return of football.

Not that I've been thinking about the return of football yet, just felt it was relevant to this thread.

The only ‘responsibility’ football has is the same as the rest of society i.e. stay at home unless absolutely necessary, shopping etc. Football is about as far as it gets from an essential occupation at this time. There are essential businesses working like dogs to maintain essential supplies not to mention the emergency services and NHS. There are small businesses where the clock is ticking snd livelihoods are on the line. The football authorities and media need to fuck right off!
In fact if they do try and press ahead with games behind closed doors while this crisis is ongoing that will be me finished with the game .

In fact if they do try and press ahead with games behind closed doors while this crisis is ongoing that will be me finished with the game .
Formula 1 have cancelled all Grand Prix’s up to the 7th June, meanwhile the football administrators are talking about playing behind closed doors. The only reason for this is the obsession with TV money and the complete disregard for match going fans.

I agree with you about finishing with the game if they decide to push ahead with this stupid idea.

Formula 1 have cancelled all Grand Prix’s up to the 7th June, meanwhile the football administrators are talking about playing behind closed doors. The only reason for this is the obsession with TV money and the complete disregard for match going fans.

I agree with you about finishing with the game if they decide to push ahead with this stupid idea.

Even if football was on I wouldnt watch it , it does feel right ...

That is the latest suggestion from all quarters of the media as they desperately try to set the narrative one way or another to make sure LFC get the trophy. They dont even consider what the players feel on this one - I cant see them wanting to put their family at risk for entertainment!

In unison, the media have followed these narratives

"League HAS to be finished"
"Financial implications of not finishing"
The integrity of the league..."
"The league WILL be finished"
"winners and losers of not finishing the league" (LFC/UTD are losers, all the other little teams are winners)
"Computer simulations make it impossible for LFC to not win the title"
Total attack on anything West Ham / Karen Brady (For suggesting we dont finish the league - Dont anyone else DARE to say the same thing now?)

Our PL chiefs are desperate to finish this season, and considering how much more the PL product is worth now that they finally have an establishment club winning the title I can see why, after years of lesser clubs winning the title it's worth so much more money than ever before. And on those grounds I expect the media to start reporting that it is good for all of us if they finish the league (LFC bring in the clicks for the media and the PL product sells better when a team with global support wins), IE finish the PL or football itself will be at risk.

Of course there are other financial implications, but those global sales are not going to increase now. Sky and the PL has seen a potential windfall taken away from them....this virus has been more than a disaster for the PL owners, they know it, and through their media chums are trying to spread all the above propaganda to make sure it does happen... it definataly isnt a dream imo.
It was bizarre listening to Silly Sally this morning especially in a programme that had a lot of rightful criticism of the public gatherings (typical Brits when the sun comes out) and then onto the nonsense about football
Things changed so much over the weekend and it's only going to get worse as time
passes by.
I don't know if l will see family members again. I have to walk my dog under cover of darkness. I have to collect food to last me a couple of weeks next Monday but l am not sure l will get it given what is going on.
And some silly twats in the media want to organise a glorified circus for their darlings. The world is going mad - sadly more so in this country than most.

If football is allowed to compete games behind closed doors what level does it go down to? Won’t other sports want to do the same and maybe the arts? Then there’s the issue of who is required to compete these games, players, management teams, medical staff, match officials, ball boys, the media teams support staff, transport staff, hotel staff the list grows. Then there is training that the players will need and the staff to support the training facilities. The whole idea is a nonsense especially with many in the country ignoring the advice it would set a bad example. Some talk about pre-testing all those involved which currently is not feasible I doubt we will see football this year unless there is a major breakthrough

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.