Self-employed & Coronavirus

Pray that political pressure on the Government forces them to address this clear injustice. Maybe write to your MP, sign any online petition. Good luck mate.

I genuinely believe the government’s change in strategy over the self-employed came about through media pressure.

Originally the self-employed were being hung out to dry. But every media conference and Question Time saw the journalists constantly putting the politicians under pressure to do something.

They said they would listen, and it seems like they have.

It’s clear that Directors of small businesses have fallen through the cracks here and not been catered for.

I’d urge anyone on here with journalist contacts, or those who can connect with them on social media to bang the drum for these guys. They’ve clearly been left out.

When the chancellor said 95% had been covered, I took it to mean the people with the broadest shoulders earning hundreds of thousands made up the 5%. Not hard working entrepreneurs like @marcus

I have a small floor cleaning, limited company. Im the only employee. The only director. I am salaried so PAYE. So ... ive got the sum total of fuck all coming my way?
It's not exactly informative but this bit at the end of the link I posted may apply to you.

If you’re a director of your own company and paid through PAYE you may be able to get support using the Job Retention Scheme.

Then he’s daft as he can earn about 12500 tax free and his Mrs if he ‘employed ‘ her

No he's not. The most tax efficient salary for people who are owner directors is I believe £8,631 per annum, with the rest of income taken as dividends.

People do that and then benefit income wise from not paying employee or employer NIC.

Even if both husband and wife are paid that, they won't get a great deal from the government's job retention scheme if they furlough themselves.

The government probably assumes that people doing that have been earning plenty in dividends and had the benefit of lower contributions so should have resources to survive without income for a time.

It's not the government's fault that people have paid themselves less salary than they could afford in order to reduce their tax bills.

How fair this all is, is another matter. What is clear is that it is more complicated than a straight employee or truly self-employed situation in terms of administration as it would need yet another scheme: you couldn't just rely on individual's tax returns and ignore the financial position of their company.

At least the government has delayed IR35 for private companies until 2021 as a result of CV19.

I feel sick to the pit of my stomach.

I work hard, i pay myself a salary that is actually what i earn (no cash in hand), i pay NI. I dont cheat by paying myself in dividends. 15 years trading.

Looks like im getting nowt. Mrs works but im the main earner.

I closed up shop on monday night believing it the right thing to do. Morally correct and for good of the country. Regretting my decision now and wish id cracked on like all the other selfish fuckers.

Its hit home hard tonight that im fucked financially. Was happy to just about scrape by with a little help.

Now what do i do?
Like you mate av been waiting all week for some
Re assurance , which luckily I have had . This is so fucking wrong. Feel gutted for you and others alike god only Hope's that this becomes the main topic in the media like the self employed issue has been lately . So so wrong I have a pal in same position devastated

The email contradicts what he said, essentially don’t contact hmrc till June and then in June you can apply so realistically August/September at earliest to see any cash during a mandatory shutdown!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.