UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes! The days of player wage caps, exposed to all weathers at the scoreboard end, the Kippax being posh because it was covered and you could see both ends -a big bonus in the winter fogs and smogs where the referee would stand at the centre circle and only decide that the game would be played if he could see the goalposts at both ends.

Many is the game I attended where the Platt Lane end was invisible, especially under floodlights. Like the blind we relied on the crowd at the end for an inkling of excitement. It is one of the reasons it was common for supporters to change ends at half time. What price VAR in those days when it was frequently impossible to even see what was happening on the mud heaps that passed as pitches.

This is the nearest that could be described as a level playing field when it came to competitions. No need for FFP then.
The only thing I don`t miss from "All Our Yesterdays" are the piss stones in the Kippax.

The problem is that is exactly what the cartel want. The old G14 mafia have goaded UEFA in going after City. For them it is win-win. Either City get banned or UEFA go down the pan. The latter scenario opens the way for .

That may have been the plan. However many of these clubs have huge debts to service with no immediate prospect of revenue with coronavirus. Competitions, gatherings and travel may be restricted for some time. "A new invitation-only European Super League" may have been feasible but now could equally be folly opening a Pandoras Box that could badly backfire and see the end of them. A new competition could emerge although not necessarily what the G14 clubs have in mnd.

On one side we have a debt free, profitable, investment rich City with CFG and owners around the world but failing FFP against a proposed new European cartel league started by FFP compliant but potentially bankrupt clubs, carrying debt and needing to secure new sponsorship and investment. I would say their plans now look scuppered.

It goes further than this though, doesn't it PB. I believe that FIFA only allows "arbitration" by the CAS if a club "isn't happy" with the AC's decision. This effectively allows no appeal since CAS has to accept the lawfulness of FFP and can only rule on the process followed (including the status of evidence). The entire process from start to finish is a denial of the right to an objective, fair hearing and tips the balance overwhelmingly in favour of UEFA and is so scandalously dictatorial that we haven't seen its like outside the most unpleasant dictatorships. Recently the enforced recourse only to CAS was found to be a denial of the human rights of defendants and I think City would have ignored FIFA's regulations anyway and had recourse to courts which can and will pronounce on more fundamental questions, but again we are left open mouthed at the arrogance of all the regulatory bodies of world football, bodies which believe they really are not accountable to anyone and are above the law and can do exactly as they please.
I think you meant UEFA rather than FIFA.

I'm surprised at the article which said that CAS upheld the legality of FFP, as I didn't think that was even within CAS's remit to look at. But our appeal is on the basis of due process, as you say. The process was akin to a Stalinist show trial, with the verdict known in advance and the defendant not allowed to mount a proper defence. There's the whole issue around the settlement agreement and whether UEFA even had the right to re-open this case at all. That's before any of their accusations about our conduct are even tested.

Better call Saul!!!

Just recently finished watching the four series of it. A devious, lying little shit who had my blood boiling at times and I was hooked. I then went on to watch Breaking Bad. It was nice to see and know the history of the characters and once again: old Heisenberg and young Jesse had my blood boiling once again because of their sheer stupidity. Alas, I was hooked and now have a huge amount of respect for Vince Gillian and Bob Odenkirk. Geniuses.

Highly regarded lawyers had to argue that UEFA was not bound by contract law because football was an exception, a sport which could decide contract matters without interference from the courts. I cannot imagine that trained lawyers felt anything other than desperately uncomfortable pleading that the ECJ should butt out and mind it own business but they did because their client left them no choice. The verdict of the ECJ was brutal but lawyers have to fight the case their client wants, and the lawyers came up with the only argument they could put forward, however flimsy it was.

Well if it is true that they are going to CAS with “NOTHING first hand, it's truly unbelievable” then it will be the shortest hearing in the history of CAS.
Unbelievable indeed.
Love to be proved wrong in the fullness of time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.