COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to live a bit of anti intellectualism.

Wot do dese PhDs who dun studied pandemics for 30 years no compared 2 my commun sense?

You can study pandemics for the whole of your life and still not be able to accurately predict the next one.

Sure, they can give best guess models, but we’ve not had a pandemic Covid virus like this in modern times with global movement of people.

It could be 5k deaths and it could be millions. There are arguments for both extremes.

The number will also depend on how quickly we can identify a treatment and a vaccine.

That’s not to pour scorn on experts. They obviously know better than you or I.

2 more in ireland

7 scotland

they have gone from 20,000 to 7,000,we have gone past the 1,000 mark already and have only just gone into lockdown,i don't think it is helping

Will be a lag kaz. These deaths will be from people who caught it pre lock down I would imagine.

You mean the government had a policy, listened to expert advice, then changed the policy? These latest projections are hugely encouraging, and if they come to pass will have been achieved thanks to the policies implemented by the government.
Edit. Should have also added thanks to the hard work and dedication of our health service front line workers, and the attitude of the great British public in following the guidelines.
I didn't say anything to the contrary.

The acceleration in the death rate is also horrendous. I had hoped yesterday's figures were a blip. Now I am hoping today's are as well. Carry on accelerating like this and it would be carnage.
Sorry Chippy but we have been told repeatedly that we have no-where reached the peak and therefore these figures announced today unfortunately do not surprise me in the least.Be warned that this increase of 260 ? will be eclipsed time and time again before we hit that summit.

Will be a lag kaz. These deaths will be from people who caught it pre lock down I would imagine.

We wont see how well the lockdown is working till at least another 10 days to 2 weeks. That is when the Gov is expecting cases to start falling. Italy are still 10 days away from seeing how well their lockdown has worked.

Slow process. People just need to exercise patience to see if it's working.

You can study pandemics for the whole of your life and still not be able to accurately predict the next one.

Sure, they can give best guess models, but we’ve not had a pandemic Covid virus like this in modern times with global movement of people.

It could be 5k deaths and it could be millions. There are arguments for both extremes.

The number will also depend on how quickly we can identify a treatment and a vaccine.

That’s not to pour scorn on experts. They obviously know better than you or I.

This is exactly the pandemic that the experts have been predicting for years.

The WHO said a new coronavirus pandemic was the world's biggest disease risk since the Ebola outbreak ended in 2016.

John Hopkins University did a war game predicting an almost identical pandemic flu 3 months ago.

Bill Gates did a TED talk watched by 20,000,000 people predicting a pandemic flu just like this.

This hasn't taken any epidemiologists by surprise.

Do you know who does?
No-one knows quite positively, for sure. We may be bolting the stable door far too late. But most don't think that's happened. If it is, we wouldn't 'know' for some time yet. So we do what we can allowing for the probabilities and outcomes involved. There is more than enough reason behind the argument to keep going with the current measures. Personally, I fall on the side of the argument that says that what has been allowed to continue in workplaces, and London in particular, wasn't nearly good enough.

I have to say we I don't believe we've hit the right note or the right balance. I haven't seen toilet roll in 4 weeks, many other items too. This means people like me are making repeated journeys instead of one. I can't get a script from Boots because of their measures the queue was shut at 4pm yesterday.

But tens of thousands of people sat on each others laps on the underground last week to go and work in offices because their employers did not pull out all the stops in facilitating working from home. Many more sat next to each other on benches to eat and work. And the front bench of the Govt publicly didn't follow social distancing in the House of Commons...

Oh for the doors being welded there are literally dozens are different videos (they’re compilations with several different scenes in each:

Then there are obviously the numerous (understandably anonymous) blogs from Chinese citizens who have said the same.

Given the Chinese authorities aren’t going to film themselves for their national tv, what further proof could you possibly be expecting?

Fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.