That Hamburg night in Manchester

It was a carnival atmosphere, we were still at the point of not being too serious and UEFA hadn't tried to fuck us over at that point, i've said it before but I enjoyed the 'Europa' years more than i've really enjoyed any of the Chumps League seasons, the first time round was a novelty but it was obvious from the outset that the whole thing is rigged to keep certain teams in it as long as possible, I remember the utterly shithouse antics of playing Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern, watching them dive and getting every call over the first few years and thinking this isn't for me.

Last edited:
QF of Eufa cup, something completely unexpected just a couple of years before when we couldnt score, cheap tkts, floodlights, exciting close game all contributed, ultimately ended in disappointment but our day would come...

Feels like another lifetime ago now, the atmosphere was on another level, easily the best atmosphere i can remember. This game also gets mentioned alot from other blues saying the same thing.

But why was the atmosphere so good for that game? What was so special about it? Why havnt we had alot more nights like that? What nights can you recall being just as good?
It certainly was a special night but the Scouse game at our place last season was on another level. You could feel the atmosphere before getting anywhere near the ground.
Inside, the noise was relentless and the mickeys on and off the pitch seemed stunned. Even had some old school argy bargy with the fuckers.

I think the Hamburg game was a better atmosphere than the liverpool game last season. Tickets were a fiver but it was the plucky underdog spirit that lifted the crowd. As someone alluded to if Hamburg played here next season you wouldn't get anything near the atmosphere, but at the time we hadn't had a sniff of silverware in 30 years and Hamburg were a big fish in Europe. Seem to remember they came with lots of Glasgow rangers flags aswell

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.