Nine years ago today - FA Cup semi-final against United

I was stuck in hospital recovering from a bout of pneumonia, so paid for the hospital TV service to watch it in bed. There was an elderly United fan opposite me who chose to watch it with me. Yaya's goal and the final result certainly hastened my recovery !!!

Probably the most nervous I've ever been before a game. A truly incredible day, and probably the key turning point in our modern history.

Complete mayhem in my local as all the Blues who'd had very little to cheer about for 30 years let it all out.
Shed some tears that afternoon I can tell you.
fuck me mate, you bawl a lot at the footy..x

The thing about that game was, and this is impossible to prove of course, but I've always believed that if we had got beat that day, the whole of the next few years might well have been different.

No end to the trophy drought. Knocked out of a cup in the semi final stage by united for the second time in 2 years. The coverage would have been all about how united "have the class to put money bags city in their place time and time again" etc. Who is to say the our mentality wouldnt have been affected the following year when we found ourselves 8 points behind with 6 games to play.

For this reason I've always believed, and always will believe, that the steely inner core that Mancini imparted into that team makes him our greatest ever manager. He never once to my knowledge disrespected our opponents and rivals but equally he never ever talked them up or us down in the lead up to a match.

Every city fan owes Mancini an unpayable debt of gratitude for that season. It directly lead to everything that has happened since.

He came. He saw. He conquered. Impossible to be a city fan and not love him. Impossible.
well worth repeating

Two hours in the Green Man and then a stroll down to 'The roundabout' , full of City fans and easily the best pre-match entertainment I have ever witnessed. It was funny enough when the odd rag coach came onto the roundabout, but when a convertable BMW with the top down, containing 2 rags, come onto it and got stuck because of traffic and City fans, all hell broke loose as cans of beer and piss came from everywhere, all aimed at the sitting target. I have never laughed so much in my life !! A truly great day !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.