What make of dog for a beginner?

Believe it or not my step daughter as a dog that is a cross between a Jack Russel and a Shih Tzu and it’s a Jack Shit.

My dog as a kid was a Jack Shit he had the heart of a lion haha when he was 18 he got an asbo from our local park for nipping a woman on the ankle he ended up with dementia was never like that before. Top dog Gizmo was.

Approaching retirement. Never had a dog. Never really liked dogs. Wife is the same. Recently warmed to the idea. I like labs and setters, mrs. HOTM likes a bolognese (something like that)
Requirements:
-Doen't shed hair
- Doesn't yap
- hardly shits

Any suggestions welcome.

We have a Tibetan Terrier.
Not yappy.
Doesn't shed hair but as a result needs brushing.
Small/Medium size.
Companion dog with no prey drive.
BTW - every dog shits :-) the bigger the dog the bigger the shit as well don't forget that :-)

Is a lurcher a greyhound/Irishwolhound or Scottish deerhound cross?
It’s wider than that. Any member of the greyhound family crossed with any other breed of working dog.

On the greyhound side are greyhounds, whippets, salukis, wolfhounds, deerhounds, etc. Most typical on the working dog side are collies and bedlingtons, but other breeds too.

It’s also common to cross two members of the greyhound family. And then many are lurcher x lurcher crosses.

As you can imagine, lurchers vary widely in size and type of coat depending on cross.

Is a lurcher a greyhound/Irishwolhound or Scottish deerhound cross?
Mine is a greyhound/Collie cross. You can see the Collie in him when he stalks but otherwise he's greyhound - always asleep, loves human contact. He's a dickhead when I take him to the park and someone is throwing a ball for their dog but that's the chase instinct.

Does quite big shits. Will eat anything you leave for 10 seconds

I would get a real dog. Big, energetic, if you get a dog like that you will keep each other fit and enjoy an excuse to fuck off out the house with your new best pal. Or, get a lap dog and die a fat **** in your chair watching a rerun of the fucking Bill. Difficult decision, especially if you had already seen that episode of the Bill.

Anyone ever owned a Manchester Terrier? Handsome things, sort of like a mini doberman.

Yes - lovely looking these. Another odd those breeds that are hard to get hold of apparently. We saw one in a park a couple of years ago and the owner said they had to go through a bit of a prolonged interview process.

Agree with the poster about a dog being very much like having a child. They'll turn you upside down almost as much but rewards are incredible (not only from the love you'll get back but the new friends you'll meet and the new person you'll become).

Those cavapoo type dogs are popular and most don't malt...bit wild however. Homework required.

It’s wider than that. Any member of the greyhound family crossed with any other breed of working dog.

On the greyhound side are greyhounds, whippets, salukis, wolfhounds, deerhounds, etc. Most typical on the working dog side are collies and bedlingtons, but other breeds too.

It’s also common to cross two members of the greyhound family. And then many are lurcher x lurcher crosses.

As you can imagine, lurchers vary widely in size and type of coat depending on cross.
There was a farmer close to me who bred them back in the 80s. They crossed the greyhound with Scottish Deerhounds. Ended up with a fairly big wooly hound, primarily sold them to the Deerhunters around Ireland. They were excellent stalkers I believe. Perhaps that was a specific market.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.