Will the country be a nicer place when this is over?

The question should be, is it going to make you a nicer/better person? (That isn't personal, it's rhetorical.)

The first way to improve society, is to improve yourself. Think globally, act locally, and all that.

But, yeah, I'm optimistic that more people will have realised what's actually important in, and for, life.

Nothing's ever perfect, but there's no harm in trying.

But seriously. You'd like to think so. You'd hope this will reset everything.

However, speaking as the miserable twat that I am, I think it'll be like New Year's Eve. You know, when complete strangers in pubs want to link arms with you and sing Auld Lang Syne at midnight. Then, the very next day, those very same people will be cutting you up on the roads - while flipping you the bird.

I remember the old man telling me how gutted he was after WW2. Having had all that genuine cameraderie while the war was on, it was business as usual once the bunting came down after V.E. day.

Maybe there will be an ember of the nice things that have been happening lately. Let's hope.

Maybe it's just the people I've encountered but every time I've gone out, I've felt the urge to throttle someone.

People driving like fucking idiots at dickhead speeds

People letting their dogs off the lead and letting them do whatever they want. Saw someone let his dogs off the lead to chase a deer the other day, and wouldn't be surprised if they killed it.

People standing right behind you in the queue for the supermarket

People coughing without covering their mouths

People having house parties with every fucker invited

Maybe I've just been unfortunate with the people I've come across but this crisis has reaffirmed to me that there's a lot of cunts in this world.

The question should be, is it going to make you a nicer/better person? (That isn't personal, it's rhetorical.)

The first way to improve society, is to improve yourself. Think globally, act locally, and all that.

But, yeah, I'm optimistic that more people will have realised what's actually important in, and for, life.

Nothing's ever perfect, but there's no harm in trying.

I really like this post.

Unfortunately I believe that the reality of a massive global economic recession will bring out the worst in everyone as we all fight to rebuild our lives.

I wish I could be above it but I know i will be fighting for my personal future.

Depends how much the economy tanks.

Absolutely this. Working in finance I just can’t see a quick recovery because people have had the shits put up them with this. Saving for another rainy day will become the norm so spending will slow even if things are sorted health wise. For me it looks like it will be extremely rough on a lot of people and all this friendliness could go out of the window when you the lost your job and fighting to keep your home whilst your neighbour is pulling up in their new Range Rover.

Absolutely this. Working in finance I just can’t see a quick recovery because people have had the shits put up them with this. Saving for another rainy day will become the norm so spending will slow even if things are sorted health wise. For me it looks like it will be extremely rough on a lot of people and all this friendliness could go out of the window when you the lost your job and fighting to keep your home whilst your neighbour is pulling up in their new Range Rover.

I read something about someone talking about their NHS pension having retired at 55 today. I don't imagine too many people clapping for that.

None of us are immune. I’m less well disposed towards the homeless than I was before this, for example. In times of uncertainty, it’s natural to want to protect what you have.

no,,ive realised there are so many selfish bastards around,utter scum IMO,,,on a deeper point we truly have fucked the planet,the two big mountains in Kenya you can now see east to west with no polution,the waters of venice ars so clear, cities with no smog,,this world is 60% over populated and we cant continue as we are,,it really is a mess and what for greed for money

no,,ive realised there are so many selfish bastards around,utter scum IMO,,,on a deeper point we truly have fucked the planet,the two big mountains in Kenya you can now see east to west with no polution,the waters of venice ars so clear, cities with no smog,,this world is 60% over populated and we cant continue as we are,,it really is a mess and what for greed for money
It would be great if we could just reset the planet to 1800 AD levels of population and pollution, along with modern levels of technology and medicine. Probably not going to happen, but that should be the ultimate aspiration.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.