Films that were acclaimed that are actually rubbish

All of John Hughes' films are overrated -- every single one -- with the possible exception of the first half of Ferris Bueller.
FUCK OFF! Now, you’ve got my Chicago dander up! ;-)

Seriously, though....just the first half of FBDO?!

And, did you completely forget about Sixteen Candles???

Brilliant coming of age movie and LITERALLY nails Chicago/Midwestern teen life when it’s not playing for the laugh.

This all feels like me trying to explain to Yanks why Kes is a brilliant movie!

Not sure how Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan to the Oscar that year.
Pippins! ;-)

The opening of Saving Private Ryan is phenomenal. Boring 2 hrs bookended by two 20 min segments of brilliant film making.

Shakespeare in Love is movie writing at its best. Best picture? Even though it’s a favorite of mine.

I remember going to see Macbeth.
Half the cinema emptied after 15 minutes when they decided they couldn't understand any of it :)

I think Breakfast Club is the best American High School movie of all time.

Ok, I am willing to grant Alive and Kicking is pretty awful.

I am willing to watch PTA and give it another chance.

But . . . In no universe is The Breakfast Club better than Clueless or Dazed and Confused. Or Rushmore. You could toss in Fast Times at Ridgemont High or Valley Girl and I would. Even Ferris Bueller.

I just checked with my wife to be sure. “The Breakfast Club is a weak movie” she said. She’s never wrong (at least I’ve never tried to find out). She disagrees on Valley Girl though.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.