Maine Road (Football Away Days)

Great memories of the old place.
Growing up a mile away and having all them pubs as your local you could walk in any night of the week and know half the lads in them, Blues & Reds.
Happy Days!
where did you live mate. i lived in brentwood street and the big western was my local

Grew up just off Yew Tree Road, could see the Kippax from my bedroom window.
walking through the streets and alleys to get to the stadium is something i'll remember for the rest of my life.

I was 18 when we moved to the new ground, I think we are getting there when it comes to the place really feelings like home its just going to take time

It always made me cross that we allowed Swales to have the awful blue cladding fitted over the Manchester red-brick of the Main Stand. The only bit of history we had left our famous old ground.

Shame on Peter Swales. He would have been so jealous of what we achieved after he was booted out.
I know that initially you wasn’t that keen on the new stadium but without the move we wouldn’t have been taken over and had the great success we have achieved since. I always thought that we were desperate to leave Maine Road as it had become a pale imitation of the ground that we had all fallen in love with. Peter Swales had a lot to answer for.

Whenever I think of Maine road I think of the old Kippax and Platt lane stands. I hated the new Kippax and Umbro stand. Cheap and nasty, but that was Peter Swales all over!

I remember seeing the plans for the new Platt Lane and couldn’t get over how crap it looked! PJS at his best, all Cuban-heeled and comb-over, fake and cheap.

It was off Yew Tree Rd, if you walked up Letchworth St you’d be at Heald Place mate.
My old primary school Heald Place 1960,to 1966 .Shared the site with Rusholme Secondary Modern which was referred to as a good training ground for Borstal.It was great to see the floodlights every day when in the school playground.
Lived off Wilmslow Road,back of the post office.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.