Maine Road (Football Away Days)

Whenever I think of Maine road I think of the old Kippax and Platt lane stands. I hated the new Kippax and Umbro stand. Cheap and nasty, but that was Peter Swales all over!
Think the new Kippax was pretty good, certainly the concourses were miles better than the etihad.

Franny Lee had the Kippax rebuilt, but you are right it was like a cheep patchwork quilt at the end.
Sure I read somewhere, that Swales initial plan to comply with all seater requirements was to just bolt seating onto the existing Kippax terrace.

Sure I read somewhere, that Swales initial plan to comply with all seater requirements was to just bolt seating onto the existing Kippax terrace.

Pretty sure there were plans to have a new roof on the kippax to match the main stand and have the platt lane and north stand matching too.

Ive either dreamt it or ive seen the plans!

This was deffo swales. Franny had ideas to have the whole stadium like tge new kippax

The Etihad is a nice modern stadium, but it is not Maine Road. Home games were a different experience, City were generally crap, but you had The Parkside, The Beehive, The Claremont, The Gardeners, The Sherwood, The Lord Lion, The Clarence, The Whitworth and so many others in the vicinity. A Saturday home game was a belting pub crawl.

Think the new Kippax was pretty good, certainly the concourses were miles better than the etihad.
The Kippax also had a lot of space between the entrance wall and the stand, useful for the odd nice match day. The new Kippax's inside bogs were certainly an upgrade on the original "facilities", not sure if time is clouding the memories but weren't the original bogs left in use?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.