Biggest recession for 300 years

The additional costs for Birmingham City Council is estimated to be near £300m, I believe. The odd piece of art will not cover that.

It was an example of how some councils may not be the best responders economically to this crisis.
Any money Derby get will go on a florence nightingale statue )
Well she is local.

We could always nuke ourselves, suffering and inequality would stop. Would also get something back for paying for them all of these years.

Derby, moved to this area 30 years ago. The council, full of corrupt individuals who have blighted the City. The art work was bought at a time the council were closing all the library's as they could not afford them. Why would anyone trust them with money to fight coronavirus.
My point was that i would not trust the council with a pound of your, or my money, that i work 50 hours a week to pay tax on, only to end up in their back pockets.

Some councils are much better, and I have experience of those,remember the decisions that resulted in Granville come directly from a council, follow the money.

So some councils reflect society and have corrupt individuals amongst them. Hardly surprising as their full of human beings, so are likely to display the same negative traits.

So if were not going to trust the council who should we ask to provide essential services across the country?

Maybe we should use private companies? Well I have heard private organisations have corrupt individuals (see how sweeping generalisations work) and so that rules out private companies out. Maybe politicians, no there was the expenses scandal, so their ruled out. Maybe my neighbour, who is 60, but seems a decent kind of bloke? Well I have heard of about people of his age demographic in jail, so 60 year olds are ruled out. Also as the ones I heard about were white, we need to rule out that ethnicity, as they cannot be trusted.

So please enlighten me who should provide the essential services?

It is the easiest thing in the world, to say this group, that group are corrupt and shoe horn everyone into a simple box. Bit more difficult to judge individuals, departments, different councils etc on there individual merits.

I've said this before and got strange looks. But I honesty believe the only thing that would unite humanity would be either contact with a alien race capable of communicating with us or a hostile threat to the earth and humanity from an alien race.

Otherwise we're buggered.
Not those fuckin' Scousers chuckin' bricks again?

So some councils reflect society and have corrupt individuals amongst them. Hardly surprising as their full of human beings, so are likely to display the same negative traits.

So if were not going to trust the council who should we ask to provide essential services across the country?

Maybe we should use private companies? Well I have heard private organisations have corrupt individuals (see how sweeping generalisations work) and so that rules out private companies out. Maybe politicians, no there was the expenses scandal, so their ruled out. Maybe my neighbour, who is 60, but seems a decent kind of bloke? Well I have heard of about people of his age demographic in jail, so 60 year olds are ruled out. Also as the ones I heard about were white, we need to rule out that ethnicity, as they cannot be trusted.

You have spoken for me by suggesting "private Companies" I stopped reading there it is not a great style of debating, to answer for the person you disagree with .

Councils do use private Companies that is where the financial abuse occurs.

As i said I did not bother reading the rest.

Strange to think that my local council spent £100,000 on a piece of modern art last xmas, plenty of ppe that would have bought.

I don't think they are responsible for NHS procurement so rather than waste it on pot hole repairs they have purchased a possible appreciative asset for future fiscal reserve. You have to think outside of the box.

You have spoken for me by suggesting "private Companies" I stopped reading there it is not a great style of debating, to answer for the person you disagree with .

Councils do use private Companies that is where the financial abuse occurs.

As i said I did not bother reading the rest.

Ha, of course you didn’t.

You have boxed yourself in a corner with your sweeping generalisation of councils, so yes probably best you don’t continue the debate.

Ha, of course you didn’t.

You have boxed yourself in a corner with your sweeping generalisation of councils, so yes probably best you don’t continue the debate.
No didn't read it.
Let me give you one recent example lthat I have personal knowledge of.
One council, three construction firms, all preferred bidders. Collusion by all three regarding several multi million pound construction bids. Unfortunately for them, they were sussed by a rival not part of a closed shop. The idea of preferred bidders for council work is unfathomable in itself.
Court case , guilty. No custodial sentences, no resignations from the council.

Listen mate, no axe to grind, you believe councils would be the best way to spend emergency covid 19 funds, and you do not believe in media bias.
We have different beliefs, no biggy. .

Debt forgiveness and the removal of the dollar as the global currency reserve

A living wage or some sort of universal social income
I've said this before and got strange looks. But I honesty believe the only thing that would unite humanity would be either contact with a alien race capable of communicating with us or a hostile threat to the earth and humanity from an alien race.

Otherwise we're buggered.
Klatu barrada necto...

No didn't read it.
Let me give you one recent example lthat I have personal knowledge of.
One council, three construction firms, all preferred bidders. Collusion by all three regarding several multi million pound construction bids. Unfortunately for them, they were sussed by a rival not part of a closed shop. The idea of preferred bidders for council work is unfathomable in itself.
Court case , guilty. No custodial sentences, no resignations from the council.

Listen mate, no axe to grind, you believe councils would be the best way to spend emergency covid 19 funds, and you do not believe in media bias.
We have different beliefs, no biggy. .

What I believe is not pigeon-holing everyone, be it councils, individuals within a council, individual journalists as all alike, because the reality is there not.

I don't doubt your examples because they do happen, but the actions of those individuals are not even a reflection on the rest of the people who work at that council, let alone all the other councils around the country.

But yes, agree to disagree and no hard feelings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.