What make of dog for a beginner?

I would get a real dog. Big, energetic, if you get a dog like that you will keep each other fit and enjoy an excuse to fuck off out the house with your new best pal. Or, get a lap dog and die a fat **** in your chair watching a rerun of the fucking Bill. Difficult decision, especially if you had already seen that episode of the Bill.
One of each mate. Best of both worlds.

Fetched my home at 11 weeks old and he just hung off my rottis neck for the first couple of days then continued to torment her for the next 6 months.
He is a belting little dog with a big personality. Doesnt like change though.
Yep, mine hung out of my staffie jowels every time he saw him , Staffie just looked at him like he was a naughty kid , patience of a saint .

It’s wider than that. Any member of the greyhound family crossed with any other breed of working dog.

On the greyhound side are greyhounds, whippets, salukis, wolfhounds, deerhounds, etc. Most typical on the working dog side are collies and bedlingtons, but other breeds too.

It’s also common to cross two members of the greyhound family. And then many are lurcher x lurcher crosses.

As you can imagine, lurchers vary widely in size and type of coat depending on cross.

Two sight hounds crossed will be a longdog, which whilst looking lurche ish might aswell be a totally seperate breed...(bred to be out from its handler opposed to close/a coursing dog and a poachers dog are opposite ends of the stick). Sorry to be anal but if a newbie dog owner was simply buying for aesthetics then a full on longdog coursing down the m60 might not be the best experience.
Greyhounds take the applause a lot when sighthounds are mentioned, some of it justified but in a lot of cases folk simply spout greyhound when the dog used in the breeding was a whippet..albeit a hardblood whippet (unregistered whippet line that may have had greyhound splashed into it to up the bone)...the whippet lines got indoors many moons ago and because of this the lines bred very biddable types, greyhounds never took that path....though for breeding purposes they are almost the perfect specimen.
Op...shame your mrs doesnt like the aesthetics...putting forme before function is a very common mistake with people dabbling into dogs...its why the rescue gaffs are hammered....the lurcherlink gaff will allow you to foster...which is a great bonus if its your first dog....your mrs might well change her opinion.....a good dog is never a bad colour...so to speak.

Last edited:
Two sight hounds crossed will be a longdog, which whilst looking lurche ish might aswell be a totally seperate breed...(bred to be out from its handler opposed to close/a coursing dog and a poachers dog are opposite ends of the stick). Sorry to be anal but if a newbie dog owner was simply buying for aesthetics then a full on longdog coursing down the m60 might not be the best experience.
Greyhounds take the applause a lot when sighthounds are mentioned, some of it justified but in a lot of cases folk simply spout greyhound when the dog used in the breeding was a whippet..albeit a hardblood whippet (unregistered whippet line that may have had greyhound splashed into it to up the bone)...the whippet lines got indoors many moons ago and because of this the lines bred very biddable types, greyhounds never took that path....though for breeding purposes they are almost the perfect specimen.
Op...shame your mrs doesnt like the aesthetics...putting forme before function is a very common mistake with people dabbling into dogs...its why the rescue gaffs are hammered....the lurcherlink gaff will allow you to foster...which is a great bonus if its your first dog....your mrs might well change her opinion.....a good dog is never a bad colour...so to speak.

I actually edited out mention of longdogs from my post as I thought I might be getting too anal. But yes. The old girl I lost a couple of years ago was a longdog: greyhound x whippet as far as I could tell.

Because she was a rescue, it was impossible to know 100%. But larger than a whippet, smaller than a grey, and classic whippet in appearance and carriage.

I actually edited out mention of longdogs from my post as I thought I might be getting too anal. But yes. The old girl I lost a couple of years ago was a longdog: greyhound x whippet as far as I could tell.

Because she was a rescue, it was impossible to know 100%. But larger than a whippet, smaller than a grey, and classic whippet in appearance and carriage.

She sounds a darlin mate ^ just my type.

Seen one a few month back with a jock piss head on a canal, ruby red brindle same way bred ^...the jock kid didnt have a clue and the dog was so biddable it wasnt funny...i didnt know whether to laff or cry watching him walk off with ruby trotting to his heel, he'd touched, he just didnt know it.

Last edited:
I think youve missed the point a bit there mate. And by a bit I mean a lot but was being polite. Dont you think he was having a satirical pop at the wankers that actually do what he described?

No. When you see what I do on a daily basis with regards to dog abuse then no, I don't find it funny in the slightest... Joking or not.

Yeah we had a lurcher, I'd call it a lurchador actually. Heck of a dog. Came to us after several homes. I think she was a little aggressive for some but she was just playing a touch rougher than some like, and was frequently noisy. Settled into our pack without any problem at all. Spoke all manner of hums, howls and growls. Cuddle monster with everyone. Joyous personality. Fearless and forward. Full of life and love, plain and simple. Great on recall, but very ... 'active'. Always up to something, just as well it was nearly always safe. High prey drive seems to be the thing - she'd find rats and swallow them whole before you got to her. Not the fastest thing I ever saw, but an incredible aerobic specimen. Ran itself beyond the limit for the ball, never ever wanted to stop, even on the hottest days she'd just go plunge in the water on the way back with the ball. Long badger feet and claws. The longest canines you've ever seen. Actually, she got a nasty dental problem on one of these so it had to come out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.