Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair bud we can't even go and have a cup of tea at our relatives houses right now, starting football up should be right down on the list of things to normalise. Your first PL win and our progression in 2 cups should be put on the back burner and resigned to history as the competitions that never were.
Not to mention hacking a rival's database.

You’ve lost me here, mate. I’m pretty sure that Chelsea weren’t even in Europe in that period. So how they contributed is a mystery. And I didn’t blame the others, I said that they were contributors. The English football violence abroad in the early/mid 80s was systemic, Heysel was the peak of it.

All clubs were bad with football violence in the 80s.

Only contributors to what happened that day was Liverpool fans, Juve fans and a poorly maintained stadium.

All clubs were bad with football violence in the 80s.

Only contributors to what happened that day was Liverpool fans, Juve fans and a poorly maintained stadium.

I agree with all that. My point was that Heysel was what tipped UEFA over the edge in terms of a blanket ban. What had gone before was bad but this was another level.

I don’t think anybody is thinking of trophies in terms of meaning, it’s just a willingness to complete what needs to be and thus avoiding any number of issues. If the resumption saw your team win the CL, there won’t be many, if any, of your fans will say, ‘Oh this is meaningless now’. Would that have applied if the virus had struck in the Centurions season? Or would there have been a determination to crack on? Football comes a distant second in the grand scheme of things at the moment, but it won’t make our 19 any less sweet.

Given I couldn't give a shit about winning the CL at any point past or present it would be meaningless to me.

Hmmm...isn’t here on the wind up but favourite thread is the one about the atmosphere or lack of at home games.
Just got their tails up because they think it's back on. We had a similar influx when the chicken counters all turned up after Xmas thinking it was in the bag. Probably a few weeks of this before reality kicks in, it's back to "next year la", and all goes quiet again.

I don’t think I said or inferred the rest of the world were Liverpool fans. I’m basing it on that I know fans from a lot of teams and not one, not even the United lads we know that go everywhere, has said we don’t deserve it.

You do deserve it. I say that as a City fan with no great love for your club. We cannot help suspecting, however, that if any club other than Liverpool and United had been in your position, the groundswell from the media and others to finish the league (and inevitably risk lives doing so, there's no getting round that) would have been far, far less. In any case, if it is resumed, you (and we, and all other clubs, including those who will be relegated) will be doing it in conditions that are radically different to those that applied to the first 29/30 games.
I myself would be in favour of the PL awarding you the trophy without the season being resumed.
There is the question of the money having to be reimbursed if the season is not resumed. That is neither in your hands nor in ours.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what’s to laugh at if you get me? Yes, we’re going to have to wait to be crowned champions but I honestly don’t care when it happens because I know it’s gong to happen. As I’ve said, I know two big Reds who aren’t going to see it now because of what’s happened. For that reason and for everything else, everything else is secondary until it’s medically safe to resume the season, not when some straw headed, deluded space hopper in a suit says so.
And as for the ban, Everton & United played their own part in that. The ban didn’t come out of that one incident, it was a culmination of a number of events. Of course Heysel was the peak of it, but with all due respect, I don’t think it’s appropriate or applicable in this situation. I do see the point you’re making though.
I think this is the reason a lot of fans dislike your support. "Because I know it will happen" now i dont know whether it is the fanbase or the medias fault for massaging your inflated egos, but it might not happen. You are not entitled to the name champions unless the season is completed. How it is completed is the question. Me personally you play your 38 games home and away without advantages/disadvantages ie neutral grounds, fans, etc and it has to be done within a reasonable timeframe as to not interfere with the following season. I say this because logically it's better to cock 1 season up not 2. So if players dont think they can play 3/4 games a week without mass injury or risk of infecting themselves and family then the season is stopped, cancelled and next season starts as if this season didnt start at all. Is this unfair on liverpool, yes but sometimes you got to shrug your shoulders and say shit happens. It would also be unfair if a club got 3 players infected, 2 hamstring injuries and their star player injured with an ACL injury trying to squeeze the rest of the games in and therefore get relegated. The media seem to have made this into a single topic, how unfair on liverpool and it has to be completed. Sorry to say it isnt, liverpool are at the bottom of the pile. Teams getting relegated could go out of business, if next season doesnt get started properly and ontime because we tried to squeeze this in and is ruined teams could go bust, players careers could be ended due to injuries, players families could die, so much to worry about before gifting Liverpool the title. Anyway good luck.

I’m not sure what’s to laugh at if you get me? Yes, we’re going to have to wait to be crowned champions but I honestly don’t care when it happens because I know it’s gong to happen. As I’ve said, I know two big Reds who aren’t going to see it now because of what’s happened. For that reason and for everything else, everything else is secondary until it’s medically safe to resume the season, not when some straw headed, deluded space hopper in a suit says so.
And as for the ban, Everton & United played their own part in that. The ban didn’t come out of that one incident, it was a culmination of a number of events. Of course Heysel was the peak of it, but with all due respect, I don’t think it’s appropriate or applicable in this situation. I do see the point you’re making though.

Fuck me, never your fault is it.

I don’t think anybody is thinking of trophies in terms of meaning, it’s just a willingness to complete what needs to be and thus avoiding any number of issues. If the resumption saw your team win the CL, there won’t be many, if any, of your fans will say, ‘Oh this is meaningless now’. Would that have applied if the virus had struck in the Centurions season? Or would there have been a determination to crack on? Football comes a distant second in the grand scheme of things at the moment, but it won’t make our 19 any less sweet.

The rules change from when you start a competition and you end up winning is a trophy not worthy of what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.