1999 play off final - 21 years ago today!

manimanc

Programme on sky sports today about the most dramatic play off finals, starts at 3pm and the goat and dickov are on talking about the Gillingham match.

Edit : it's the top 5 finals, they've done a top 15(I think), bit of a weird number but they're down to the top 5 and ours is number 1, obviously.

Programme on sky sports today about the most dramatic play off finals, starts at 3pm and the goat and dickov are on talking about the Gillingham match.

Edit : it's the top 5 finals, they've done a top 15(I think), bit of a weird number but they're down to the top 5 and ours is number 1, obviously.

Good shout mate.

Did you go mate? I was loved up at the time with a girl and watched it in a bar in Knutsford with her. I watched Robert Taylor bang the second one in and said to her 'let's go, I can't watch this shit". We went back to hers, shut ourselves off to the world and did what loved up couples in their mid twenties do..... This was before rolling news and smartphones so I went to sleep that night convinced Gillingham had been promoted. I got up next morning and took a walk to the petrol station nearby and saw that the Daily Mirror was all in blue, I thought 'that's wierd, it's usually red' as I got nearer all I saw was a picture of Nicky Weaver with a daft wig on and immediately it dawned on me what had happened. I literally started shouting out wild nonsensical 'whoos' and even said 'yes, yes fucking yes', anyone would have thought I had won the lottery.

It was a brilliant way to find out I suppose but I still regret not lasting the distance and watching it all happen live.

Did you go mate? I was loved up at the time with a girl and watched it in a bar in Knutsford with her. I watched Robert Taylor bang the second one in and said to her 'let's go, I can't watch this shit". We went back to hers, shut ourselves off to the world and did what loved up couples in their mid twenties do..... This was before rolling news and smartphones so I went to sleep that night convinced Gillingham had been promoted. I got up next morning and took a walk to the petrol station nearby and saw that the Daily Mirror was all in blue, I thought 'that's wierd, it's usually red' as I got nearer all I saw was a picture of Nicky Weaver with a daft wig on and immediately it dawned on me what had happened. I literally started shouting out wild nonsensical 'whoos' and even said 'yes, yes fucking yes', anyone would have thought I had won the lottery.

It was a brilliant way to find out I suppose but I still regret not lasting the distance and watching it all happen live.
I didn't mate, I was at a wedding the day before and we'd all planned to watch it in the Dragon on parr lane. I got offered a ticket at the 11th hour from a lad who hadn't been all season but I turned it down just through the pure cheek of this fucker offering it to me like he was Mr Regular, still riles me today.
The pub had a smattering of rags all waiting to take the piss, got a bit heated at 2-0 down but the tables turned at full time to make them all fuckoff with their tail between their legs. I watched the pens up to seeing edghill walking up for his and went out into the beer garden as I thought he'd fluff it which he tried his best to.
Went to moon under the water on deansgate straight after the end and got bladddered.

I didn't mate, I was at a wedding the day before and we'd all planned to watch it in the Dragon on parr lane. I got offered a ticket at the 11th hour from a lad who hadn't been all season but I turned it down just through the pure cheek of this fucker offering it to me like he was Mr Regular, still riles me today.
The pub had a smattering of rags all waiting to take the piss, got a bit heated at 2-0 down but the tables turned at full time to make them all fuckoff with their tail between their legs. I watched the pens up to seeing edghill walking up for his and went out into the beer garden as I thought he'd fluff it which he tried his best to.
Went to moon under the water on deansgate straight after the end and got bladddered.

It would have kicked off in the Dragon if we'd had lost. I remember it going off in the Red King in Whitefield during a derby match. I can picture all the manyoo fans in the Dragon with faces like smacked arses.

I was in Tunisia, booked the holiday after the York game which I also didn't go to.

My only link to the game was a girl from Gillingham who had a relation at the game, at 2-0 she fucked off so I didn't know the outcome til about 22.00 that night when I jumped in the pool and got a bollocking of Mrs Moon.

In the Gillingham end, left at 2-0 down, only time leaving early apart from a match at Chelsea once to escape a hiding. Watched the penalties in a pub.

Abiding memories of getting soaked in the downpour that morning, afterwards standing in a queue for the train with folk singing you can stick your fucking treble up your arse. Saw loads of pissed up Blues in Trafalgar Square but ended up with a good meal in a fancy restaurant in Hampstead where none of the posh people had a clue about the match.

Top day. Ten of us went down but, I think, only 6 of us saw the comeback and Pens.

Those that missed were desperately trying to convince us how great watching the pens was in the pub.

Probably my abiding memory of the day, was how quiet the coach was on the way home. You would have thought we had got beat but everyone was just emotionally drained and reflecting on the miracle that they had just seen happen.

In the Gillingham end, left at 2-0 down, only time leaving early apart from a match at Chelsea once to escape a hiding. Watched the penalties in a pub.

Abiding memories of getting soaked in the downpour that morning, afterwards standing in a queue for the train with folk singing you can stick your fucking treble up your arse. Saw loads of pissed up Blues in Trafalgar Square but ended up with a good meal in a fancy restaurant in Hampstead where none of the posh people had a clue about the match.

Always remember the ‘Treble’ song being sung up and down Wembley High Road. Happy days!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.