Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

Educate yourself jimmysboots. We have been fed the scare story to make sure we all comply with lockdown which was put in place based on a guy (Neil Ferguson) who's models of potential epidemics have been wrong time and time again.

https://thecritic.co.uk/were-all-in-the-big-numbers-now/
37,048 and counting say you are wrong and that is with the lockdown. Yes, the government has done a good job scaring us, yes more people are killed in road accidents and yes Ferguson’s numbers may be exaggerated (I doubt we will ever know) but if you think given what we knew at the time and the possible consequences of continuing as we were was the right thing to do then you are showing a flagrant disregard for society compounded with an unethical risk.

If on the other hand you are mainly pushing for a reduction in lockdown rules you have a point.

The #PremierLeague could return with five matches shown live back-to-back every Saturday + Sunday with kick-offs at noon, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm and 8pm. Broadcasters are pushing to show games midweek in a #UCL style double-header, with games kicking off at 6pm + 8pm. [
@MirrorFootball
I wonder what will happen for the final games then as they all should be played at the same time

I posted the other day, it would take just a week to finish the FA Cup, 2 games Saturday, 2 games Sunday, 1 game Wednesday, 1 game Thursday, Final on a Sunday, yet there is no push to complete that, why ? That's right a certain club are out.
I blame the bbc too. Sky are lobbying like fuck for the PL to come back - fair enough, they stand to make money from the ratings increase that comes with live footy.

Although the beeb isn’t an overtly commercial entity they still chase ratings and a rapid fire format like you suggest is clearly gonna pull in huge audiences bored to the back teeth with the staple diet of reality shite and repeats the bbc currently feeds us.

Why aren’t they lobbying as hard as sky are.

Well Africa has largely escaped so far and the WHO believes it is because it is a young population. The immune system suffers in old age......the Blood transfusion service is looking for males over the age of 35 who have have had it because they are likely to have had a severe infection generating a lot of antibodies. We have known from almost the very beginning that this is a discriminatory illness.

Once you accept that it affects different groups differently and that it is transmitted most easily in areas which do not allow for dispersal of airborne droplets it informs activity, or should do so.

The lockdown is no longer appropriate and hence will be replaced by testing and tracing. Football is compatible with that I feel. It is good that the illness is for the moment lifting and perhaps it is not a coincidence that we can start to discuss it properly again. Lockdown generates mental anxiety and emotion even when we think we are free of it ourselves.
I think one of the models they did estimated the infection numbers to be around 1/4 billion in Africa by the close of the year. There may be a few factors at play also, Africa as a continent is huge as are a lot of their countries, it may just be spreading slower because of that. There is also an undeniable issue with poor health structures there, how can they get testing and accurate numbers out there when they can barely get it done here? What is also confusing is that there has been a trend seen for BAME people, but this doesn't seem the reflect in the data we are seeing in Africa. Could be due to poor data as i have said, or that BAME people are not any more at risk than others and there are some other factors at play over here..
I've read about that antibody transfusion, if i have them i would be willing to donate if it helps.

I don't see how anyone can deny that it affects people differently, when they say it doesn't discriminate i think they must mean it doesn't discriminate on who it infects. The problem is when you are infected and asymptomatic, while spreading it to people that are possibly immunocompromised (who may not even be aware themselves).

Yes i don't think lockdown is required to the point where we have been at previously, there still needs to be a guidance to minimise people in spaces even if it is outside, sitting right next to people on a park bench for instance. The problem with football, for me, is that you can't limit contact and the testing isn't good enough to see if anyone is bringing the virus in from outside. The danger isn't to the players, it is to the family if they have anyone who could possibly be in the above risk sections we mentioned.

Watch the news mate or take a look at the stats in countries around the world who peaked at the same time as us.
But we all know it will take many months to find a vaccine and, only then, it may be eradicated but unlikely as it will almost certainly be prevalent in less developed nations-although we've acted like a 3rd world country in relation to our handling of it

The latest on "full contact" are they taking the piss ?

Players will be able to "train as a group and engage in tackling while minimising unnecessary close contact," a statement said.

How is that going to work for corners and free kicks ?

It's like guidelines without a chance in hell of observing the guidelines isn't it?

Is all sport coming back or just the premier league. I would have thought golf, cricket etc would be back before football.
Tennis not back til aug 3rd earliest. US decision to lift quarantine rules for elite level sportsmen will get things moving over there for golf and tennis certainly. Cricket is as socially distanced as any sport I suppose but then you have the riddle of how to deal with the ball with all the spit and sweat on it

The latest on "full contact" are they taking the piss ?

Players will be able to "train as a group and engage in tackling while minimising unnecessary close contact," a statement said.

How is that going to work for corners and free kicks ?

I think the best tactic is whenever we get a corner for all of our players to start coughing, no fucker will want to mark them

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.