Ian Curtis - 40 years ago today

Its tricky...
Basically post punk is 'New Wave'
If we are accepting that Punk broke a/the mould....everything that came after Punk could comfortably be described as New Wave..which it was...
FWIW....Joy Division..and very early New Order ..come within my fav era of music ...i call it' The Golden Era'
1978-1982..after that,nothing really ..really matters.
Each to their own,of course but across the board. Japan Bauhaus,Yazoo,Joy Division Alien Sex Fiend ,Siouxsie,Cabaret Volataire,Virgin Prunes,Sisters,Play Dead,The Jam,B -Movie ,Soft Cell Numan,Visage , Human League ,Xmal Deutchsland,Sex Gang Children, Cocteau twins etc etc emereged.....all on the back of Punk..therefore Post -Punk.New wave....Gothic Punk...
Whatever..a Great time for music.,imo.

It always seemed a very experimental period to me Dennis, lots of different ideas vying for a place at the table, kaleidoscope like, anything seemed fair game which, for me, was fantastic, it brought us some brilliant and wonderful sounds, shame many of them have literally been forgotten, The Cocteau Twins for instance, what a cracking outfit they were, you're right, was a great time for music, and maybe we'll never see the like again, certainly not to that degree anyway.

Watched Control last night on the back of this thread. Not one for films usually but really enjoyed it. Supposed I should of watched it years ago as most of was filmed about 1/2 a mile from my house. My brother was two years younger than him at Kings School in Macc and got on the school bus with him. And he went out with my cousin for a spell
Almost Family!!!

All you New Order fans, I admit that after Ian’s death I didn’t really bother with them. It seemed too much like listening to The Who without Keith Moon. Perhaps I should be a bit more open minded. What should I start with, in your view?
Movement.
New Orders 1st release post Curtis.
Understandable that it has been forgotten about....but its a bloody good album,my fav of all time.

It always seemed a very experimental period to me Dennis, lots of different ideas vying for a place at the table, kaleidoscope like, anything seemed fair game which, for me, was fantastic, it brought us some brilliant and wonderful sounds, shame many of them have literally been forgotten, The Cocteau Twins for instance, what a cracking outfit they were, you're right, was a great time for music, and maybe we'll never see the like again, certainly not to that degree anyway.
Agreed.and glad you mentioned Cocteau Twins; Feathers Oar blade remains one of my top ten tracks ever.

Movement has a few good songs, Dreams Never End I think is one of New Order's best ever tracks.

I never understood why this wasn't a single and a big hit , for me it's almost as good as Regret , which was their best single for a very long time.

I've had a big worry on my plate and been off here for a while (by my standards). Thanks to all who've advised on New Order. If they're half as good as JD were, then they're worth my time. I shall duly start by purchasing Movement, in some form or another.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.