COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loosely translated as 'why the fuck are we opening up?'. This is quite clearly a political decision, not a scientific one. We're fucked and its so blatantly obvious this is all done as a distraction from the Cummings stuff.
As much as I think that Johnson, Cummings and the defenders of him have behaved appallingly, it is a very weak argument to say they would risk the public safety in order to deflect from an issue they have already drawn an absolute line under. It is surely beyond the stretch of the wildest conspiracy minded nutjob to think that. We are also not fucked. If people are careful we will get through it. People are not careful enough and stupid people do stupid things, but we are not fucked. The lack of the need for the Nightingale field hospitals shows you that.

It’s controversial because it’s plainly not true. Unless you think a world with social distancing and a deadly virus with no immunity is being back to normality, which would be a bit weird to think in my opinion. Whitty has already said we need to have social distancing in place until the end of the year at the very earliest, so realistically a fair way into 2021. “Back to normal” can’t exist until social distancing is not a thing and until we’ve been vaccinated or attained herd immunity. There can be a ‘new’ normal but you are talking about going “back” to normality, ie our old normal. Which won’t be this year never mind this July.

You can't test a vaccine without someone who has the virus and you can't attain or even test herd immunity when it isn't prevalent in a community. So really whilst virus cases coming down is good news, it's very bad news if we want a vaccine or some immunity from the virus.

It's horrendous but we have to resign ourselves to two possible scenarios:

1) We learn how to control the spread (following social distancing and contact tracing) and the virus slowly dies out over a number of years but it maybe becomes a repeating flu type illness that infects and kills X number of people per year.

2) We see a second wave, a third wave, a fourth wave, etc etc and we continually go round the houses until a vaccine/herd immunity is developed.

Either way, neither of these options are good because option 1) means years of misery and option 2) means a lot of deaths and misery.

You seriously think they want the death figures to spike again after crippling the economy and paying half the nation 2.5k a month? If they are getting stick now imagine it then.

With all respect a paramedic isn't going to have any inside info to the governments strategy, it's just their opinion.
They only locked down to stop having catastrophic figures, do you think it’s miraculously going away? I’m telling you what they are gearing up for in the NHS and I’m more inclined to believe someone on the frontline than some lying fuckers on tv. Do you think they give a shit in summer how many get it if they can cope with it, they’ll want herd immunity in summer to cope in winter, the very vulnerable are still been told to isolate, my wife has been told her office in the nhs is not opening until July and even then she won’t be going back because of her diabetes. In the NW they’ve had a spike again after VE Day, imagine what it will be like in a month after what we are seeing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.