Parents threatening their children

I used to get hit by my mother regularly. Sometimes it was probably warranted, but mostly not. She'd had a bad day at work, perhaps, or I'd been playing out for too long, nothing much really.
I swore that I would never treat my kids that way, and other than one time, I never did.
I used to get cracked on the back of the thigh or across the ear from my Mother.

Never thought anything of it. I probably deserved it.

If she’d ever said the words “if you don’t stop fucking doing my head in I’m going to twat the shit out of you, you little ****” I don’t think I’d ever have spoken to her again.

Thankfully she just gave me the odd crack and never spoke to me the way you hear some parents speak to their kids.

Proper old school parenting would have seen wooden spoons or whatever else was lying around, gone soft these days.
Wooden spoons? You were lucky to have a wooden spoon.

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

Nope, nope..

Oddly I did a Domestic Violence course yesterday in my garden!
It's amazing the things you can do nowadays, what's the first thing you learn, is it
'Start with haranguing, build up to screaming, then, after a few weeks practise, you
can chance a slap around the head?'
;)

It's amazing the things you can do nowadays, what's the first thing you learn, is it
'Start with haranguing, build up to screaming, then, after a few weeks practise, you
can chance a slap around the head?'
;)

LOL

This is wrong.

Oddly I did a Domestic Violence course yesterday in my garden!

Some of the cases were horrific. Some of the cases we looked at how many opportunities people had to intervene. One famous case was missed by so many professionals but was reported by a taxi driver who did not like the way a child was being treated and looked. By then it was too late...
You’re right with regards to some of the appalling cases we read about in the papers and wonder just how it can happen in a civilised 21st century western democracy. Should there be better checks and balances, yes. Do we need to drastically overhaul the system, probably. Do we need a much lower burden of proof, undoubtedly.

But do we need virtue signalling goons on football forums with no actual evidence whatsoever reporting wrongdoing based on hearsay thereby wasting overstretched resources and possibly making a bad yet manageable situation far worse ? In my view we don’t.

Odds are they dont. And it wont be an investigation, it will be a meeting to see if support is needed
I’m all for erring on the side of caution and reporting something you’ve seen with your own eyes. Is the OP within his rights to report it ? Yes probably although I personally wouldn’t if I were him based on him saying he’s never seen injuries and they seem pretty normal but I accept it’s a judgement call.

What I’m arguing against is the offer of mr virtuous to report wrongdoing based on what he read on a football forum posted by somebody I presume he doesn’t know.

I’m all for erring on the side of caution and reporting something you’ve seen with your own eyes. Is the OP within his rights to report it ? Yes probably although I personally wouldn’t if I were him based on him saying he’s never seen injuries and they seem pretty normal but I accept it’s a judgement call.

What I’m arguing against is the offer of mr virtuous to report wrongdoing based on what he read on a football forum posted by somebody I presume he doesn’t know.
Well if the poster wishes to do that then all he need say is exactly that. This is third hand info, doesnt seem malicious info but I dont know that, these are my concerns and over to you. They will work out the provenance and come to their own conclusions, that is what they do as professionals. Dont see the issue at all personally.

Well if the poster wishes to do that then all he need say is exactly that. This is third hand info, doesnt seem malicious info but I dont know that, these are my concerns and over to you. They will work out the provenance and come to their own conclusions, that is what they do as professionals. Dont see the issue at all personally.
There are finite resources though. In an ideal world every wild goose chase would be followed through to the end but in the real world social services have a hard enough job to do without frivolous reports to deal with.

Anyway we’ll agree to disagree

Are you serious, you’ll report it ???

So an interfering virtue signaller like you (“my son and daughter have the utmost respect for me” blah blah blah) wants to report it regardless of the shit storm for the kids that might result from it. It doesn’t sound a great situation but you seriously want to get social services involved based on a post on a fucking football forum. You know absolutely nothing about the situation. For all you know the OP could be an estranged partner of the woman in question holding a grudge. Odds are, things get a great deal worse for the kids involved if the authorities investigate.
The OP said he'd witnessed regular verbal abuse of young kids. Happy to interfere. You can stand aside. Each to their own.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.