Sony Bluetooth Headphone repair

somapop

Hi folks.
My daughter's Sony WH-CH700N Bluetooh headphones have lost audio in the right ear.
Think they were around £100 at the time, but she hasn't used them a great deal. Recently wanted to use them again as she's listening to more music and general youtube vids. I'm one for repairing everything myself and recently fixed broken tumble dryer, washing machine (carbon brush replacement) and over elements. Easy peasy and cheap fixes.

I've carried out all the factory resets/reboots and opened them up to multi meter the wires and all looks ok but the right ear has gone. Very likely the speaker/driver but I can't get in this without breaking it all open (and then potentially re soldering).
Filled out a Sony repair form (they art out of warranty) and the inspection fee alone is £30...add on parts and labour and it might be cost prohibitive. I haven't sent them yet but may not given that cost (I've just rang them).

Anyone sent any headphones off anywhere to fix? I could look at ordering a replacement driver but maybe no guarantee that will be the issue (could be something I've missed). Local repairer with the correct diagnostic tools?

Cheers.

8543002_R_Z001A

I bought a pair of Plantronics Backbeats off a company in Stockport (i believe) who refurbished them: https://www.headsetsolutions.co.uk/

Pretty sure they would be able to sort this, worth giving them a call on the number on the website (obviously dependent on current conditions). I have since upgraded to the WF-1000XM3 and they're superb.

Hi folks.
My daughter's Sony WH-CH700N Bluetooh headphones have lost audio in the right ear.
Think they were around £100 at the time, but she hasn't used them a great deal. Recently wanted to use them again as she's listening to more music and general youtube vids. I'm one for repairing everything myself and recently fixed broken tumble dryer, washing machine (carbon brush replacement) and over elements. Easy peasy and cheap fixes.

I've carried out all the factory resets/reboots and opened them up to multi meter the wires and all looks ok but the right ear has gone. Very likely the speaker/driver but I can't get in this without breaking it all open (and then potentially re soldering).
Filled out a Sony repair form (they art out of warranty) and the inspection fee alone is £30...add on parts and labour and it might be cost prohibitive. I haven't sent them yet but may not given that cost (I've just rang them).

Anyone sent any headphones off anywhere to fix? I could look at ordering a replacement driver but maybe no guarantee that will be the issue (could be something I've missed). Local repairer with the correct diagnostic tools?

Cheers.

8543002_R_Z001A

I have these exact same model. I hate the way headphones have such short functional lives - boils my piss. I bought these on the basis they would be decent.

Let me know how you get on.

It could be anything mate. Without a schematic then it is difficult to say. Does each bin have an individual driver.

If you have a DVM, then you have all the diagnostic tools you need.
Don't open the driver us as it will be full of magnets, coils and other stuff. If thats gone, then you will not be able to fix it.

Without seeing the schematics then it is difficult to advise you really. If you can get to the wire, to the driver, see if there is a voltage on it when you try playing music. If there is, then you know the driver is goosed.

I have these exact same model. I hate the way headphones have such short functional lives - boils my piss. I bought these on the basis they would be decent.

Let me know how you get on.

Me too. She’s actually hit another pair (far cheaper) but these have delay issues (audio and video is out) so practically useless. Possibly low latency compatibility issues and you can get adapters (for low latency issues) but no guarantee and they’re £20 +.

It could be anything mate. Without a schematic then it is difficult to say. Does each bin have an individual driver.

If you have a DVM, then you have all the diagnostic tools you need.
Don't open the driver us as it will be full of magnets, coils and other stuff. If thats gone, then you will not be able to fix it.

Without seeing the schematics then it is difficult to advise you really. If you can get to the wire, to the driver, see if there is a voltage on it when you try playing music. If there is, then you know the driver is goosed.

I did test the (tiny!!) wires in the earpiece affected and was getting voltage so possibly fault is with the driver/speaker. Can’t really confirm this though so maybe no point ordering in parts.

Spoke with Sony repair (i had booked in) And they want £30 just to accept them. Add possibly £30-40 for parts & labour and they can fuck right off.
So I checked out a headphone repair company and they’ve estimated £35 all in (free drop off too). Considering that.

Hi folks.

Cheers.

8543002_R_Z001A
Might be worth the thirty quid? - Sony service centre will probably take one look, decide they can't be arsed and send you a replacement set.

Hi folks.

Cheers.

8543002_R_Z001A

Have you contacted Sony about it?

My Bose QC35's broke out of warranty and they wouldn't repair but they offered to replace them for 50% off.

For £100 and if there is a £30 inspection fee, I'd be very tempted to ask for a price on a new pair if they can do something similar.

Might be worth the thirty quid? - Sony service centre will probably take one look, decide they can't be arsed and send you a replacement set.

But then they might say the fixing fee will be another £30 on top of that...so I'm £60 down. Not sure I want to take that chance.

Have you contacted Sony about it?

My Bose QC35's broke out of warranty and they wouldn't repair but they offered to replace them for 50% off.

For £100 and if there is a £30 inspection fee, I'd be very tempted to ask for a price on a new pair if they can do something similar.

Yep - see above. They want £30 just to inspect - I then run the risk of them adding a parts and labour charge on top (potentially at least another £30.)

best try with online vids for tips, some guys can break down most products safely.

I have looked and ordinarily would do so but I'm pushed for time (I'm referring the kids rooms at the moment). I can't fully test them either...if I order a replacement driver/speaker and it isn't that (it's some other component or s/w issue) I'm back to square one but money down.

The headphone repair company are offering a £35 fix which I think is probably my best option.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.