#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said, we are now looking far better with him in the side than without which tells you everything.

There was a moment yesterday just before Foden came off the bench when we had a very promising counter attack. The ball got played into Silva in space with just one defender ahead of him. Silva turned back on himself and played the ball wide to Mendy and nothing came of it. Had Foden been in that position he would have gone straight past that defender and been through on goal.

I really feel his energy and directness will make us a much harder team to play against when he’s starting regularly.

if Foden progresses to become a starter next season, or, say, at least 25 league starts, then will people that heavily criticized Pep's approach to his development relent?

not saying that will happen, but if it does then I believe Pep deserves credit for how he has handled him

Absolutely but I'll reserve judgement until I see what signings we make in the summer and how things progress next season.

If he gets 25 starts, like you've said, I'll be delighted.

I dont think there is any question about Phil getting a regular start now. He is good enough and his performances have proved it and Pep has seen it, and so has Southgate. Phil will play for England in the coming months and will be a starter come the Euros.

Next season Phil Foden will become the first name to go on Peps team sheet.

if Foden progresses to become a starter next season, or, say, at least 25 league starts, then will people that heavily criticized Pep's approach to his development relent?

not saying that will happen, but if it does then I believe Pep deserves credit for how he has handled him

Here's the thing, even if he does, I don't necessarily believe Pep deserve immense credit for his development. I've always felt Foden was ready to play a key role this season for us and I genuinely believe that Pep's patient approach (whether deliberate or not) has been to the detriment of the team. We've been crying out for dynamism and some speed from the centre of the park and Foden was on the bench the entire time. I'm still not totally sold Pep is great when it comes to trust youth players.

Here's the thing, even if he does, I don't necessarily believe Pep deserve immense credit for his development. I've always felt Foden was ready to play a key role this season for us and I genuinely believe that Pep's patient approach (whether deliberate or not) has been to the detriment of the team. We've been crying out for dynamism and some speed from the centre of the park and Foden was on the bench the entire time. I'm still not totally sold Pep is great when it comes to trust youth players.
Pep trusts players he can trust to execute the system he is playing and the game plan. The end.

Getting into that circle of trust requires doing the above AND being better than the other players doing it in the position you play. He’s not all the way there yet. And, I’m this team, that doesn’t mean he isn’t good enough to play for England...because he is, and will.

Pep trusts players he can trust to execute the system he is playing and the game plan. The end.

Getting into that circle of trust requires doing the above AND being better than the other players doing it in the position you play. He’s not all the way there yet. And, I’m this team, that doesn’t mean he isn’t good enough to play for England...because he is, and will.

I would argue that he is better than both David and Gundogan as a number 8 and Pep's reluctance to play him is, while Pep probably does trust those players more, doesn't mean it's necessarily best for the team.

Foden is more of a De Bruyne kind of midfielder, like Bernardo is too. Consistent and direct attacking threat. You could stick him in the forward line if you needed to.

Silva, and Gundogan in a way are more of a controlling type of midfielder, although Gundogan seems to operate better deeper. These are two guys that tend to get central to all play and rack up exceedingly high passing numbers with ever presence and indirect distributions.

A midfield pairing of Bernardo/De Bruyne and Foden I suspect is about as likely in the near future as a pairing of Bernardo and De Bruyne. Not overly likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.