Deal agreed with Bayern Munich for Leroy Sane - €60m (including add-ons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointing but writing been on the wall for over a year.

The fee is so far below what we would have expected pre-COVID and some might say Bayern are shrewd whilst others see them as a bunch of entitled bullies, but we shall see.

You cannot say we didn't try to keep him, but Pep also didn't trust him for some reason and we saw it more often than we'd hoped for.

There are some worries and he hasn't reached the level I think we wanted even with his talent. Don't get me wrong he could be world class still.

I love Jesus, but while both have some question marks, Jesus is a team player and that adds value.

I hope he succeeds at Bayern. I know that sounds wild, but I think he may need to feel to be a key player to shine.

We had some great years from him, and I can't hate on him. He couldn't get games after Raz stepped up on the left as Bernardo and Mahrez showed more consistency and work rate which Pep demands while eventually wanting Inside Forwards rather than Wingers.

Sad but this was bound to happen to us eventually.

Good luck LEEE-ROOOY!!! You're welcome back anytime to me.

Last edited:
In all the circs, not too bad an outcome for us. For him: plenty of dough; easy ride in a crap league; time to do it every week or just become another decent player rather than a great one. I don't think he'll change.

Its no shock!! we’ve known for 2yrs he didnt want to play for us, his agent/s + bayern have shafted us big time, sergio & kdb are “irreplacable” sane most certainly is, we move on #mcfc.

Not a bad deal under the circumstances.
Not really arsed he's going if I'm honest.
Don't get me wrong he's an exciting player who can make things happen, but for me he hasn't really progressed that much since being here.
Add to that I dont think he's got the work ethic that a Pep team needs.
You've only got to look at how much Sergio, Raz and Riyad (to name a few) have improved their worked ethic over the same period.
Not sure if it's him being at City, in England or he just has a problem with Pep, but I've never been convinced over his desire to fight for his starting place in the team.
I wish him luck (not against us), but we move on with players that want to be here.

Much more than 40 m
I've taken the rough amount we'll get in the first payment Karen, don't see the point in thinking its 55m towards a new target when its clear it'll be a few seasons for Sane to complete the performance related add ons.

Half of what we should have got last season but we move on.

£55m, where do you get £40m from?
If I buy a motor from you for£1000 and I give you £700 upfront with the rest to come in 3 annual payments of £100 then you are up £700 to spend in whatever way you see fit.

I quoted roughly 40m as that is what we will have to put towards his replacement, let's not rely on performance driven bonus payments - they're not even guaranteed mate.

I felt for a long time that he was treated differently (more harshly) than other players by Pep and expected it would eventually bite us on the ass. Yes he could be frustrating and have some bad games but Pep, for whatever reason always seemed to be more animated on the touchline whenever he did something wrong. Other players are given chances to play themselves out of bad form, it never seemed to be the case for Sane, he would be subbed or dropped for the next game(s).
The term "attitude issues" has turned into a cliché, and I don't think it necessarily applies to Sane, but I do think there was stuff going on behind the scenes in terms of how he reacted to his own poor performances, his occasional lack of game time, etc. We've got to remember he was literally dropped from the World Cup selection for similar reasons. And on top of that, it's well documented how his reaction to that situation with his NT effected his start to the 18/19 season. But even then, I'm still hesitant to call it attitude issues - Pep still wanted him to stay and had faith in him as opposed to the likes of Eto'o in the past, so perhaps it was maturity that was the issue. Habits he could grow out of.

However, you're right, the fact of the matter is that for whatever reason, when Raheem, for example, has a bad game, Pep's solution is to keep playing him until he finds form. With Sane, he felt the tough love route would suit him more. That's not random or senseless - there's reasoning behind it that we're not privy to because at the end of the day, we don't know how the players behave in training, in the dressing room, etc. But I do think maturity and professionalism played a role in it... the scene in the Amazon doc when Leroy gets subbed off against Wigan after Delph's red card and has to be comforted by De Bruyne and lectured about 'bad faces' by Pep comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.