#9 | Gabriel Jesus - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about Champions league? Jesus already has 5 goals and 2 assists this season. Agüero’s best ever return was 6 goals and 2 assists in the Champions league.

I’m not saying Jesus is better or anything like that obviously, just offering some perspective. Jesus is a permanent back up. The striker in front of him is arguably the best in PL history. Imagine how demotivating it must be for Jesus knowing whatever he does, he’ll never be first choice.

We had an Europa League level group hence why he played. Real Madrid, granted, was one of his few standout performances but one swallow does not make a season.

What is Jesus better than a 23 year old Aguero at?
Most of the things he's currently better at than Aguero now. Link-up play, creativity, skillfulness, pressing, general movement, getting on the end of crosses (albeit his heading isn't anything to shout about). And Aguero was better at the things he still is better at now. Finishing, getting on the end of lower crosses and general being a fox in the box, consistency and confidence, acceleration, staying onside, probably two-footedness in shooting and probably dribbling too.

They both historically have had a similar xG, which would suggest they're similarly capable of creating chances for themselves and getting on the end of chances. I think Jesus is maybe a little better at creating his own chances and Aguero a little better at being in the right place for things, but there's not much in it.

Current Aguero (or maybe up until last year) is a better player than he was at 23. The only thing the younger Aguero had is more pace to burn. Older Aguero is a significantly smarter player and in my opinion a more accomplished finisher than 23 year old Aguero. It's likely older Jesus will be better than current Jesus too.

"Sterling and Mahrez, another lonely day for Jesus"
I said this on page two of the matchday forum. One of the most avid detractors jumps in right away with something like
"well, he could try kicking it in the goal" completely missing the point that you can't kick what isn't given.
Sterling and Mahrez are both selfish, they are competing with each other along with Gabby for time. Their first move is to go it alone, they rarely if ever turn and look to quickly play the diagonal through ball to the striker, a ball he can actually do something with.
They don't look or see the bigger picture because they have "I" problems.
Instead they hold on looking to take a shot, by this time the opp. has parked the bus so they take a bad shot, make a poor cross, or pass it back and we then have to break down the whole team giving up an advantageous position like a 2 on 2 or something similar.
Raz and Mahrez are each very good players and they look good on the team sheet, but it doesn't work like it should.
5-6 of our 9 losses and one of our draws was this formation and Aguero's production in these games was woeful as well.
In most of the other dropped point games with only one of them starting, scoring goals wasn't the problem.

"Sterling and Mahrez, another lonely day for Jesus"
I said this on page two of the matchday forum. One of the most avid detractors jumps in right away with something like
"well, he could try kicking it in the goal" completely missing the point that you can't kick what isn't given.
Sterling and Mahrez are both selfish, they are competing with each other along with Gabby for time. Their first move is to go it alone, they rarely if ever turn and look to quickly play the diagonal through ball to the striker, a ball he can actually do something with.
They don't look or see the bigger picture because they have "I" problems.
Instead they hold on looking to take a shot, by this time the opp. has parked the bus so they take a bad shot, make a poor cross, or pass it back and we then have to break down the whole team giving up an advantageous position like a 2 on 2 or something similar.
Raz and Mahrez are each very good players and they look good on the team sheet, but it doesn't work like it should.
5-6 of our 9 losses and one of our draws was this formation and Aguero's production in these games was woeful as well.
In most of the other dropped point games with only one of them starting, scoring goals wasn't the problem.

he had 6 chances yesterday, he has no excuse.

he had 6 chances yesterday, he has no excuse.
Agree that Mahrez is still too greedy. However despite Gabriel having a great all round game, I don't see him as the main centre forward in the team right now.
I see him being able to play across the front line but not as the main man. Hope I'm wrong

He’s unfortunately not big enough to be effective as the selfless target man who brings other into play that people deem him to be; I genuinely think we could do with one - we’ve got the best crosser of a ball in world football in KDB, a genuine aerial threat would add another dimension to our game, plus another 10 assists per season for Kev.

Calvert-Lewin’s development at Everton this season, plus his physical profile and mobility, would make him a viable replacement if we manage to extort some decent money out of an Italian club for Jesus.

Delap looks like the best striking talent in the academy since Sturridge, and already a unit, so he could be a solution medium/long term - it’d be interesting to see him given a few cameos off the bench in the last few games/preseason.
You cant be serious. You remind me of .A. couple of years back, during Pellegrini era he posted. He always wanted English players even if they were shit.

Most of the things he's currently better at than Aguero now. Link-up play, creativity, skillfulness, pressing, general movement, getting on the end of crosses (albeit his heading isn't anything to shout about). And Aguero was better at the things he still is better at now. Finishing, getting on the end of lower crosses and general being a fox in the box, consistency and confidence, acceleration, staying onside, probably two-footedness in shooting and probably dribbling too.

They both historically have had a similar xG, which would suggest they're similarly capable of creating chances for themselves and getting on the end of chances. I think Jesus is maybe a little better at creating his own chances and Aguero a little better at being in the right place for things, but there's not much in it.

Current Aguero (or maybe up until last year) is a better player than he was at 23. The only thing the younger Aguero had is more pace to burn. Older Aguero is a significantly smarter player and in my opinion a more accomplished finisher than 23 year old Aguero. It's likely older Jesus will be better than current Jesus too.

I would disagree with your evaluation of 23 year old Aguero. Aguero was very accomplished in linking up play and, at times, played just behind Dzeko and would be far more of a ball carrier than he is now. Aguero produced more assists, created 9 big chances compared to Jesus' 3 and played more passes per game. I'd also disagree about Jesus being better in his general movement or getting on the end of crosses; his movement is severely hindered by his poor awareness and Aguero was unbelievable anticipating where the ball would be as evidenced by multiple world class CBs such as Vidic lauding him at that age. All the attributes that are seen as necessary for a striker, Aguero was better than Jesus.

They also don't have a similar xG, Aguero's always been better despite Aguero playing for longer, against tougher opposition, under different systems and managers and having constant injuries that have disrupted his rhythm. Simply put it, Jesus isn't better than Aguero now and Aguero at 23 with his ridiculous acceleration, improved physicality and agility was miles better than the Jesus we're seeing now.

Well this just isn't true at all. He's been involved in 15 which is closer to half. You've got your numbers completely mixed up here mate.

Jesus has been involved in 29 goals this season, 18 goals and 11 assists.

I would have thought if you're going to call someone out over stats being wrong, you'd look them up first?

I know some sites disagree on assists, but given the lad has got 18 goals alone, anyone should be able to work out he's been involved in more than 15 goals.

Jesus has been involved in 29 goals this season, 18 goals and 11 assists.

I would have thought if you're going to call someone out over stats being wrong, you'd look them up first?

I know some sites disagree on assists, but given the lad has got 18 goals alone, anyone should be able to work out he's been involved in more than 15 goals.

I know the stats and I was looking solely at the PL numbers. Looking beyond the PL numbers is a poor representation. Sure Jesus has just less than Mane in all competitons but Jesus' favourable numbers in cup competitions comes when we play below par sides whereas someone like Mane is competing against better opposition for the most part. Hence the numbers would be skewed. If we look at just the PL, all teams face the same opponents hence the same difficulty, so a far better representation of how Jesus has done.

I know the stats and I was looking solely at the PL numbers. Looking beyond the PL numbers is a poor representation. Sure Jesus has just less than Mane in all competitons but Jesus' favourable numbers in cup competitions comes when we play below par sides whereas someone like Mane is competing against better opposition for the most part. Hence the numbers would be skewed. If we look at just the PL, all teams face the same opponents hence the same difficulty, so a far better representation of how Jesus has done.
His 5 goals in the Champion's League don't count now? Seems weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.