The King Of Cocktails

That’s me basically.

For years, both those drinks were not that common, in the parts of the US I’ve lived in, at least. Over the last few years though, they’ve exploded in popularity. Was taking to a bar owner a short while ago who was telling me that Campari was out of stock at the wholesalers half the time. I’ve also noticed it’s sporadically not available in the liquor stores in the last year or so.
My dad got me drinking Campari when I was about 15 on holiday I’ve had about 40 years of people taking the piss, always knew I was a trend setter :-)

Forget all the poncey tarted up fruit punches.

There is one cocktail that cannot be beaten....A proper vodka martini. Shaken, not stirred (not just an old Bond cliche, really does make a difference) a small twist of lemon rind, and two green olives.....and a dash of olive brine if you want to make it a 'Dirty Martini'.....mixed with the right amounts, it can really hit yer too...

Challengers....?

A rum n coke is a cocktail, and is betrer than anyth8ng with vodka in it.

Also a martini is Gin based or a difierent thing altogether

Snakebite. Scrumpy Jack and Stella will curl the hairs on your goolies if you haven't veeted them off
Reminds me of student night in the 90's at some nightclub under the Adelphi in Liverpool (and No, I am not a scouser). It was 50p any drink so I used to order a bottle of Diamond White, a bottle of Holsten Pills and a pint pot. I never spent more than £3 on drinks.

Snakebite. Scrumpy Jack and Stella will curl the hairs on your goolies if you haven't veeted them off
Working behind bars in the 80s snakebite plus extras gave rise to "cocktail pints"

Snakebite plus Pernod - Frogspit. Goes cloudy and looks like pint of pond water.

Snakebite plus Pernod and blackcurrant - Red Witch. A red cloudy snakebite.

Snakebite plus Blue Bols - Hibernian Sunset. It goes green. A nod to the tequila sunrise.

Just cider instead of snakebite gives an easier intro.

Clientele mainly Scousers and Jocks on holiday. Enough said.

I’ve been thinking about trying out some cocktails.

I’m not talking about the ones that look like our away kit this season; looking for something more classy and manly.

Any recommendations?

Also best brands of spirits that go in them?
Mojitos are ace but if you have an espresso machine have a go at an Espresso Martini ( in fact I used to get a take out from costa back in the day.

You will need good vodka , Kaluha (Coffee liquore) and double shot espresso ( preferably warm) cocktail shaker and a sieve.
25 ml vod, 25 ml Kaluha , 50 ml coffee and a good handful of crushed ice , put in mixer , shake like fuck and slowly poor through sieve to a pre chilled tall stemmed cocktail glass to create like a head on your Guinness.

Pop in a chocolate covered nut and Bob’s your uncle.

It was invented by a New York barman when a lady requested he make her something that gave her a lift but fucked up her head.

when we were 17 my girlfriend (now my wife of 44 years) and I used to drink bucket loads of moscow mules. Vodka, ginger beer, lime, angastura bitters. Washed down by a pint of Belhaven sea horse larger. Game of darts and then off to the school Disco. Happy days.

when we were 17 my girlfriend (now my wife of 44 years) and I used to drink bucket loads of moscow mules. Vodka, ginger beer, lime, angastura bitters. Washed down by a pint of Belhaven sea horse larger. Game of darts and then off to the school Disco. Happy days.

Yep, also must be in an ice-chilled copper mug to be authentic. The Moscow Mule is my favo(u)rite drink at the moment.

I am also partial to the Mai Tai but only when in Hawaii. My standard is the simple vodka soda with lime juice or in the summer vodka and cranberry juice (known as a Cape Codder over here).

I agree with the OP that that King of cocktails remains the dry gin or vodka martini though. I just prefer a mixer or two.

For sneaking up on you, nothing beats a Long Island Iced Tea. You’ll never know what it you after a few of those!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.