Yaya Toure Retires - City Legend and one of the Best ever

I posted this link already elsewhere but should have put it here. Sums things up quite nicely from my point of view:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...id-silva-adulation-yaya-toure-manchester-city

I think the mention in here of the loss of his brother is important: I've long wondered if this affected Yaya far more deeply than most people realise. People like to call Yaya names and there is no doubting he is a temperamental character but that just makes it more likely in my view that mentally he was very much impacted by his bereavement.

Last edited:
Dominated the midfield where he couldn't be knocked off the ball by anyone. That is something we do miss since he left.....we have the skill and ability still but Yaya also had the strength to brush off a challenge

Dominated the midfield where he couldn't be knocked off the ball by anyone. That is something we do miss since he left.....we have the skill and ability still but Yaya also had the strength to brush off a challenge

He also had the ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck and always... always showed up on the big occasion.

He also had the ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck and always... always showed up on the big occasion.

He certainly did...it was a sight to behold when Yaya would collect the ball and just decide to drive forward, leaving a trail of chasing opposition players in his wake, and then unleash a screamer into the net

I posted this link already elsewhere but should have put it here. Sums things up quite nicely from my point of view:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...id-silva-adulation-yaya-toure-manchester-city

I think the mention in here of the loss of his brother is important: I've long wondered if this affected Yaya far more deeply than most people realise. People like to call Yaya names and there is no doubting he is a temperamental character but that just makes it more likely in my view that mentally he was very much impacted by his bereavement.

He seems to be writing from a different point of view from that of a fan, don't think I've ever seen any fan dismiss Yaya in footballing terms, he was a colossus, a phenomenon, to have the attributes he had at his size and to such a degree was literally unique, you're probably right in that we forget about the impact of his brothers passing being hugely significant, or at least, don't give it the credence it deserves.

He certainly did...it was a sight to behold when Yaya would collect the ball and just decide to drive forward, leaving a trail of chasing opposition players in his wake, and then unleash a screamer into the net

That one at home to Villa - would have been the greatest goal ever if Clarence Giggs or Stevie Starfish had scored it.

He seems to be writing from a different point of view from that of a fan, don't think I've ever seen any fan dismiss Yaya in footballing terms, he was a colossus, a phenomenon, to have the attributes he had at his size and to such a degree was literally unique, you're probably right in that we forget about the impact of his brothers passing being hugely significant, or at least, don't give it the credence it deserves.

I think it is interesting to see a view from someone who isn't a City fan. I don't know the guy's work but I've seen him on Sunday Supplement, which I only watch occasionally. Strikes me as one of the brighter journos but I'm pretty sure I've still shaken my head at some of the opinions I've heard him express. In this case, I find myself very sympathetic to his view because I rate Yaya the player so highly.

I'm not going to get into the greatest player debate but Yaya, Bell, Aguero, D.Silva and KDB are the best players that I've seen at City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.