Who's into Classical Music?

I have started to understand classical music as I've got older. Beethoven is probably my favourite but also love pieces by Debussy too and I'm never quite sure where the boundary ends but a lot of the American composers too.

The one I find most fascinating though is Schoenberg. I can't imagine how it must have sounded around 100 years ago hearing dissonant music for the first time. Even now, it's pretty shocking and I think he had a profound influence on music - afterall, would people like Zappa, Sex Pistols and Happy Mondays been able to do what they did without someone like him?

I went to the "Last night of the proms" at the Bridgewater a few years ago and when it's all back open, I can't recommend it enough. It's not like the one in London, but they play classical music you know and it's a great intro to it as the conductor explains it before they play it. Been a few times and it's a superb night!

Didn't get it as a kid but as I have grown (much) older I like it. I know what I like as it were and can listen to it and occasionally venture out of my safe zone - in the run up to Xmas Classic FM is my go to station - gets me proper in the mood - far better than commercial radio flogging Last Christmas and Merry Christmas Everybody on a fucking loop - nice bit of classical music is beautiful.

Another go to is the New Years Day Strauss concert from Vienna early doors - have that blasting out - fucking love that - proper clears the cobwebs - that and maybe a large GnT lol

I have started to understand classical music as I've got older. Beethoven is probably my favourite but also love pieces by Debussy too and I'm never quite sure where the boundary ends but a lot of the American composers too.

The one I find most fascinating though is Schoenberg. I can't imagine how it must have sounded around 100 years ago hearing dissonant music for the first time. Even now, it's pretty shocking and I think he had a profound influence on music - afterall, would people like Zappa, Sex Pistols and Happy Mondays been able to do what they did without someone like him?

I went to the "Last night of the proms" at the Bridgewater a few years ago and when it's all back open, I can't recommend it enough. It's not like the one in London, but they play classical music you know and it's a great intro to it as the conductor explains it before they play it. Been a few times and it's a superb night!

age and experience has a lot to do with it. Hated my Dads music when I was a kid but gradually understood the context in which Elvis and the like emerged into and how they were effectively the punk of their time - then you enjoy the craft of say Buddy Holly in churning out pop songs and so your appreciation develops for "other" sorts of music.

I got into opera about ten years ago and now am almost obsessed by it.
Went to NY for the Met opera in March last and Donna Del Largo near Lucca for the Puccini festival this summer. Next year I’m going to Carmen at La Fenice in Venice and I’ve booked for the Verona Opera festival. I’ve seen operas in Paris, Vienna and Budapest also.
I also travel to see great orchestras, performers or conductors.
Travelled from Macc to London for Rattle with the Berlin orchestra doing Mahler’s Resurrection Symphony No. 2 a few years ago.
It was an incredible evening.
We are extremely fortunate in Manchester to have access to the Bridgewater Hall and the RNCM. I regularly go into the RNCM for free lunchtime recitals.
I got into opera about ten years ago and now am almost obsessed by it.
Went to NY for the Met opera in March last and Donna Del Largo near Lucca for the Puccini festival this summer. Next year I’m going to Carmen at La Fenice in Venice and I’ve booked for the Verona Opera festival. I’ve seen operas in Paris, Vienna and Budapest also.
I also travel to see great orchestras, performers or conductors.
Travelled from Macc to London for Rattle with the Berlin orchestra doing Mahler’s Resurrection Symphony No. 2 a few years ago.
It was an incredible evening.
We are extremely fortunate in Manchester to have access to the Bridgewater Hall and the RNCM. I regularly go into the RNCM for free lunchtime recitals.
When things are back to normal try the Ellen Kent travelling opera companies. Not up to the Met standard but a very high standard from tiny East European countries. They visit the Palace/Opera House in town and also Stoke in their two tours per year.
Edit Just realised lve told you twice now. I should read a thread before replying.
My excuse is lve woken early but my brain hasn't yet. At least l am consistent!

Last edited:
Very nice but why have these talented musicians chosen to play pieces by those talentless twats in Pink Floyd. Could have picked Pretty Vacant, Peaches or anything by Morrisey

Missed opportunity
Don't know much about the second player but the first one, AyseDeniz, does cover other bands and sometimes rearranges the tunes, or parts of them, to make a more classical sound. Her albums also combine traditional tunes or are fully classical. I just find it an easier way into the genre.

(I know you're not being fully serious, by the way ;) )

I'm no expert but I know what I like which tends to be the more accessible end, favourites are Beethoven, Dvorak and Schubert. For those who might want to know a bit more BBC4 recently ran a three part series on Beethoven which is well worth a watch and the Guardian are running a series of articles introducing various composers and where to start with their music

https://www.theguardian.com/music/series/know-the-score

A couple of films worth watching

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117631/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150915/

My favourite piece of classical music (currently)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.