Handing Down Allegiance

LGWIO

Team supported
Liverpool
I appreciate how cheeky I am even being on the forum as a "Dipper", well I am being even more cheeky now by starting a thread!

So.....you have a son/daughter and are an avid football fan, In this case, we shall say a Liverpool supporter of many years. You look forward to the day of sharing your love for your club with your child. However, your father/mother in law supports, we shall say City and buys then their first full kit and tickets to a City game. Their first "proper" football match. Kids being kids take that first experience and kit and then decide they are then a City fan.

There will no doubt be an obvious answer to this considering where I am but I would welcome the view if you speak as a parent yourself. Irrespective of the teams involved is it wrong of the "in law" to get in the way of you handing down your allegiance?

I appreciate how cheeky I am even being on the forum as a "Dipper", well I am being even more cheeky now by starting a thread!

So.....you have a son/daughter and are an avid football fan, In this case, we shall say a Liverpool supporter of many years. You look forward to the day of sharing your love for your club with your child. However, your father/mother in law supports, we shall say City and buys then their first full kit and tickets to a City game. Their first "proper" football match. Kids being kids take that first experience and kit and then decide they are then a City fan.

There will no doubt be an obvious answer to this considering where I am but I would welcome the view if you speak as a parent yourself. Irrespective of the teams involved is it wrong of the "in law" to get in the way of you handing down your allegiance?

Yes - I’ll be fuming if anybody tries pull that shit on my boy. Although obviously each situation is different and in your case I think they’ve done the right thing ;-)

I’ve done it a couple of times .
Usually , the kid will be football mad but the parents are your typical armchair fan . It’s always a picture when they see their first game live and you can have a little smile inside when you’ve told them that they need to ask Mum and Dad for a Silva shirt .

oops , meant to put that these are my nephews, not In laws

Yes - I’ll be fuming if anybody tries pull that shit on my boy. Although obviously each situation is different and in your case I think they’ve done the right thing ;-)

LOL that was pretty much the response I was expecting when I used the example of those teams. I hasten to add this example actually happened but to a guy I work with but different teams involved. His father in law buying a kit and tickets for the grandson.

asgoodasitgets...Can maybe understand if the parents aren't that bothered.

There are other risks to inherited allegiance, my daughter, at the tender and impressionable age of 6, came home from school waxing lyrical about a certain David Beckham. I was on the phone same day, tickets for the next game, the clash of behemoths Manchester City v Swindon Town, league 1. Thankfully a 3-0 win and her allegiance was sealed.

You have to be on your guard all the time.

In your case though you should be encouraging defection

My family have been City fans for over a hundred years.

My great grandfather was shot in The Battle Of The Somme in WWI. When he returned home and he recovered he got a job on the railway at Ardwick. He watched City play at Hyde Road and became a fan.

He then took my grandfather to Maine Road in the 30''s who then took my dad and uncles in the 60's and then took me in the early 80's.

I've carried that traditional on by taking my son to his first game 18 months ago.

It was always drummed into us we would be City fans no matter what.

Thank god my grandfather wasn't sent to Old Trafford on the rail!

My Ex who is my sons mum, her dad bought him a Utd t shirt a couple of years ago that after about a week "mysteriously disappeared" from his wardrobe after about a week!

My family have always been and will be forever blues

The only time I can see it being an issue is if the father is a real fan I.e. goes to matches and is excited himself to buy his kids kits and take the kid to games. If someone has got in first I’d doubt the fathers commitment. My son was born in 95. He was christened in a city kit. He had a trial run at Bridge Celtic in early 98 and 22 nd August 1998 went to his first game Wrexham at home 3rd division typical city let me down fukin boring 0-0 draw, thankfully prem league neighbours drew 0-0 at West Ham I convinced him our result was better cause it was also against European opposition. He’s missed about 10 home games all competitions since.

Not my style to impose liking of anything for my kids, I only had one unspoken rule - he could not become a madridista.

My son was not indoctrinated explicitly, he simply observed my love for Barça and even by 3 or 4 he started showing a preference. Now nearly 8 he’s already been to matches and passionate for blaugrana. It surprises me how much he loves it but kids pick up everything, even when you actively don’t do anything

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.