CAS judgement: UEFA ban overturned, City exonerated (report out p603)

Frankly, proper journalism in football is dead. Petrusha nails it: the days of proper investigative journalism within football are over.

What was Der Spiegel’s “scoop”? It wasn’t exactly Watergate style detective work. A hacker who had first tried to blackmail City sold the stolen emails to Der Spiegel, who paid for them because they were handed them on a plate.

Because that’s what “journalism” in football at least at PL/CL lever has become. Stories are handed to football writers by “sources” who all have their own agendas. Agents, clubs, UEFA officials etc. Who use the media as pawns to further their own interests. And because these days what pays is what clicks, journalism has basically turned into PR for the G14 clubs.

There used to be some notable exceptions. Henry Winter was once a writer worth reading. Those days are gone. Martin Samuel, much though I respect him, I don’t think does much serious actual journalism these days. Mostly he seems to me to offering his opinion on the issues of the day. Which is well worth reading, don’t get me wrong, but I think his days of chasing the story down are over, and in fairness he’s earned it.

So who is it out there who might answer your question? Why was this disastrous prosecution launched, and how could UEFA possibly have concluded City had acted dishonestly on such flimsy evidence?

The answer, sadly, to the question “when will this get investigated” is “it won’t.” Not because the story isn’t worth researching and writing, but because journalism at this level doesn’t work like that any more.
Generally we inhabit a censorious world where orthodoxy prevails and any opinion off the beaten track is black-listed. At face-value discrediting the likes of Katie Hopkins and other right wing zealots maybe attractive but after criticism is done with, you are left with one world outlook that is an obstacle to social and scientific progress. Scepticism and discussion should be welcomed but it is not. Some ideas are regarded as offensive and hence banned. You can not for example be a human climate-change sceptic and expect funding or an audience, and hence the process of clarifying and testing ideas is inhibited. Science and the renaissance came hand in glove, without one we would not have had the other. The tale of Galileo and the Catholic church is now legendary but then Galileo and the Copernican view of the solar system were heretical.

Sam Lee has a long article in The Athletic giving details of the hearing and the ramifications. A lot of it has been posted on here at different times but I found it interesting and balanced.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1959998/2020/08/01/man-city-v-uefa-cas-verdict/

@gordondaviesmoustache - I still expect you will call him a wankstain..
It's a shit article. It's a collage of other people's articles, primarily Conn's as he's the only on who mentioned the 2-1 verdict and highlight the fact that City "chose" the chair of the panel. Sam Lee has been fucking clueless on this from day 1, relying on Matt Slater for anything that required some knowledge and insight.

the thing with the press/media there know exactly what they are doing put out all the negative shit out about City at CAS than about a week later write a 'more' balance piece giving the true facts that City are 100% innocent and just how poor UEFA . This is done knowing most non City fans will have read the first negative article a week ago and there for wont bother reading the new balance report, abit like the BBC did. Sadly it works, it stinks,

It's a shit article. It's a collage of other people's articles, primarily Conn's as he's the only on who mentioned the 2-1 verdict and highlight the fact that City "chose" the chair of the panel. Sam Lee has been fucking clueless on this from day 1, relying on Matt Slater for anything that required some knowledge and insight.

Those parts are shit I agree. What he has done (or tried to) is flesh out our case and why we chose not to co-operate any more than we did. I'm not seeing any of that from Conn et al.

Sam Lee has a long article in The Athletic giving details of the hearing and the ramifications. A lot of it has been posted on here at different times but I found it interesting and balanced.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1959998/2020/08/01/man-city-v-uefa-cas-verdict/

@gordondaviesmoustache - I still expect you will call him a wankstain..
He repeatedly said that the club would be found guilty - which reveals his true disposition towards the club, and by extension, its supporters.

He was conspicuously wrong on that count of course, something which he’s been making a habit of for some time.

So he dislikes the club and is poor at reading and understanding situations; his writing style is a little insipid too. All of which makes him pitifully equipped to write and opine about Manchester City.

So yes, he’s a wankstain.

Well, it's been brewing ever since I observed the nauseating, hysterical, hyperbolic glee with which the football press responded to the original Der Spiegel stories based on the Football Leaks materials. I've been waiting ever since to have my say once the matter was properly disposed of, a moment that arrived with this week's publication of the full CAS report.

It probably also doesn't help that I'm currently in a Russian hospital undergoing treatment for Covid and associated pneumonia. I can't say I felt in much of a mood to soft-soap my views, to be honest. (I'm doing fine and am much improved compared with my rather pitiful state earlier in the week, thanks.)

Get well soon! Hope you can come through this without any after effects.

Well, it's been brewing ever since I observed the nauseating, hysterical, hyperbolic glee with which the football press responded to the original Der Spiegel stories based on the Football Leaks materials. I've been waiting ever since to have my say once the matter was properly disposed of, a moment that arrived with this week's publication of the full CAS report.

It probably also doesn't help that I'm currently in a Russian hospital undergoing treatment for Covid and associated pneumonia. I can't say I felt in much of a mood to soft-soap my views, to be honest. (I'm doing fine and am much improved compared with my rather pitiful state earlier in the week, thanks.)

get well soon pal..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.