CAS judgement: UEFA ban overturned, City exonerated (report out p603)

Is this a sign of the times Chris, by that I mean has clickbait overtaken journalism?
The digital world means the traditional newspaper needed to change for financial reasons so editors insist journos follow their researched customer base and literally pander to their often extreme views.
Views of news prevails which allows say a cartel or say a Government (eg Russia or Qatar or g##) to buy into a financial need in return for job security and skewed publicity.

Propaganda is now sold by a financially desperate media who simply want clicks and have descended to having all their media pages advert features along with those tagged as such.
Read Alan Rusbridger's book 'Breaking News'. It's quite interesting and he seems to have been someone who wasn't afraid to take on powerful interests. He guided The Guardian to be one of the leading digital news sites but its content has gone downhill since Kath Viner took over as Editor (and blocked his nomination to the trustees of the Scott Trust).

But in the book he talks about the Telegraph and how it's basically in hock to its major advertisers. It refused to run a story about wrongdoing by HSBC that every other paper ran, because HSBC spent a lot of money advertising with the Telegraph. He tells how the Telegraph ran other stories that had the Advertising Director screaming at the editorial staff, which were subsequently removed or significantly altered.

A few years ago, at a Manchester Football Writers Festival event, Oli Kay (then at The Times), David Mooney and Paul Lake were part of a panel talking about young players. Afterwards I got to have a chat to them. I think Dave Mooney was part of this conversation but Paul & Joanne Lake certainly were and we got talking about where journalism had gone. Kay said that he could write the piece of his life but if it didn't get enough clicks, his editor would kick his backside all round the newsroom. That's the state of our current, so-called "quality" media.

Last edited:
Actually, I just checked the last two or three weeks of Winter's Twitter - he voted for KdB in the POTY award and waxed lyrical about Sterling, saying he was England's most important player and a "special talent." So, not all bad then. He's just on the wrong side of history re: City/UEFA.
That's much nearer the mark. Has written extensive praise of us in the past, but he fell for the popular line of "got off on a technicality" which would require evidence of wrong doing re ETISALAT, which CAS specifically said was not there.
Why would a journo who was normally fair and accurate suddenly do this?
When I pointed this out, he wrote back saying he criticised both City and Uefa, but completely ignored the only point (this one) that I made.

Is this a sign of the times Chris, by that I mean has clickbait overtaken journalism?
The digital world means the traditional newspaper needed to change for financial reasons so editors insist journos follow their researched customer base and literally pander to their often extreme views.
Views of news prevails which allows say a cartel or say a Government (eg Russia or Qatar or g##) to buy into a financial need in return for job security and skewed publicity.

Propaganda is now sold by a financially desperate media who simply want clicks and have descended to having all their media pages advert features along with those tagged as such.
It seems that the medium has become the message.
These ‘social media’ platforms are meat and drink to the masses who confuse ubiquity with omniscience.Just get on ... doesn’t matter what you say, as long as you’re there saying it.
Trump is a perfect example.

Were we succesful in overturning the ban ? All the crap i have read in the media since make me wonder , imagine if UEFA had won the verdict and the mayhem that would have ensued , i think the death sentence would have been re-introduced.

Read Alan Rusbridger's book 'Breaking News'. It's quite interesting and he seems to have been someone who wasn't afraid to take on powerful interests. He guided The Guardian to be one of the leading digital news sites but it's content has gone downhill since Kath Viner took over as Editor (and blocked his nomination to the trustees of the Scott Trust).

But in the book he talks about the Telegraph and how it's basically in hock to its major advertisers. It refused to run a story about wrongdoing by HSBC that every other paper ran, because HSBC spent a lot of money advertising with the Telegraph. He tells how the Telegraph ran other stories that had the Advertising Director screaming at the editorial staff, which were subsequently removed or significantly altered.

A few years ago, at a Manchester Football Writers Festival event, Oli Kay (then at The Times), David Mooney and Paul Lake were part of a panel talking about young players. Afterwards I got to have a chat to them. I think Dave Mooney was part of this conversation but Paul & Joanne Lake certainly were and we got talking about where journalism had gone. Kay said that he could write the piece of his life but if it didn't get enough clicks, his editor would kick his backside all round the newsroom. That's the state of our current, so-called "quality" media.

As is often the case in the world, money rules what people do.

I don't know how their revenue breaks down and have no interest in researching that but I believe newspapers live off ad revenue; especially in this day and age.

I am not one of the tin foil hat brigade but I find it hard to believe that dark forces are not at work trying to foil City's rise; it's just the level of collusion that is in question. The media's part in this though I suspect is driven mainly by economics and the fact that the media seems to contain a high proportion of people with red allegiances.

City are victims of both conspiracy and circumstance, all of which works against us. Thankfully our owners have vast wealth and perseverance. If the club continues to be successful on the pitch, delivering trophies and entertaining football, slowly but surely over the years things will improve. This is going to be a very long war.

Sign them up!
Did you spot the pop up ad from Red Bubble, they are selling mugs bearing the legend phrase that you like.
Sorry about this post, I was typing too quickly and completely missed a few lines off what I meant to write. The red bubble ad was addressed to GDM.

Foolishly turned radio station over to Talksport this morning. Discussion on Sheffield Wednesday punishment saying it's not really a punishment for the owner. Cascarino says there's loads of loopholes whereby an owner can disguise money into the club and then you get wages pushed up and the trouble clubs are in. There's sponsorship. He gave the example of Etihad. Doh. They still haven't got the headline from CAS. NOT disguised equity investment! And we haven't pushed up wages and and investment is not why championship clubs are in trouble. That would be debt and dodgy gambling.
Cascarino gave Carragher a close run in the village idiot competition recently.

Well, it's been brewing ever since I observed the nauseating, hysterical, hyperbolic glee with which the football press responded to the original Der Spiegel stories based on the Football Leaks materials. I've been waiting ever since to have my say once the matter was properly disposed of, a moment that arrived with this week's publication of the full CAS report.

It probably also doesn't help that I'm currently in a Russian hospital undergoing treatment for Covid and associated pneumonia. I can't say I felt in much of a mood to soft-soap my views, to be honest. (I'm doing fine and am much improved compared with my rather pitiful state earlier in the week, thanks.)
Get well soon mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.