Kalidou Koulibaly

The last sentence shows the complete fallacy in which some posters fall into because our owners are very wealthy. Yes we do want the very best and will do everything to get the very best but you also have to remember that ambition is tempered with getting value for money because as much as football is emotional, there is also a business element.

"Sheikh Mansour is an astute businessman, who believes you can create a value from football that has not yet been accomplished," Khaldoon explained. "There is a pure, football, emotional side to it, and a big business side, too. I think what attracted Sheikh Mansour was the great football journey, but also there is a business sense, that we can create a franchise, a business, over years, which will create value and reap a long term return." - Khaldoon 2009.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/sep/18/manchester-city-abu-dhabi-mubarak

You can talk about bargin hunting all you like but you're just exaggerating a weak argument to try and make it look stronger, when no one is advocating bargain hunting at all, just a desire to retain the "value for money" long term approach to transfers we've done very successfully over the last few years.

I was being facetious, which you clearly picked up on.

Of course the club wants value for money but if you think we determine that predominantly by resale value then you've not been paying attention.

Do you think the club were arsed about resale value when they bought players like Fernandinho, Mahrez, Otamendi, Yaya Toure, Kyle Walker and so on?

The answer is no, they saw value for money because they predicted that these players would help them achieve their objectives in the pitch. Resale value and marketing potential comes a distant second to that.

Resale value is the primary consideration when we're snapping up players from academies around the world to spread out amongst the various clubs of CFG in order to put them in the shop window and make a profit on them a year or two down the line.

If a player like Koulibaly is brought in it's going to be because he has a track record of being one of the best on the planet in his position. If you don't agree with his quality, you think he's past his best or that there are genuinely better options out there then that's an argument I might disagree with but I understand it.

But why anyone would be looking at the situation and worrying that we might not make a decent fee off them later on is beyond me.

Last edited:
I was being facetious, which you clearly picked up on.

Of course the club wants value for money but if you think we determine that predominantly by resale value then you've not been paying attention.

Do you think the club we're arsed about resale value when they bought players like Fernandinho, Mahrez, Otamendi, Yaya Toure, Kyle Walker and so on?

The answer is no, they saw value for money because they predicted that these players would help them achieve their objectives in the pitch. Resale value and marketing potential comes a distant second to that.

Resale value is the primary consideration when we're snapping up players from academies around the world to spread out amongst the various clubs of CFG in order to put them in the shop window and make a profit on them a year or two down the line.

If a player like Koulibaly is brought in it's going to be because he has a track record of being one of the best on the planet in his position. If you don't agree with his quality, you think he's past his best or that there are genuinely better options out there then that's an argument I might disagree with but I understand it.

But why anyone would be looking at the situation and worrying that we might not make a decent fee off them later on is beyond me.
You're merging two completely separate arguments; 1) long term value 2) resale value.

Fernandinho (just turned 28)
Mahrez (27)
Otamendi (27)
Toure (just turned 27)
Walker (just turned 27)

The different between signing someone at 27 and 29 is quite big when it comes to long term value, someone just entering the traditional peak years and someone that's been through two years of their peak already (long term value argument). If any of those signings hadn't made it successfully in the first two seasons, we would have been able to recoup a smaller fee than we bought them for but at least something. Give Koulibaly two seasons and he's 31, you'll get next to fuck all for him and will be stuck with him (resale value argument).

Fernandinho at 28 years old and at £32m was a gamble, of course it was, but it's a third of the money you're talking for Koulibaly, so hardly comparable. If the fee for Koulibaly was lower, much lower (£40-45m tops), then we wouldn't even be having a discussion because quality wise it's impossible to argue with how good he has proven to be.

Way to much for the age. Great player but 80-90 mill is way too much. Maybe 3 years ago, would much rather Jimenez from Atletico. May cost more but at 25 could be our leader for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're merging two completely separate arguments; 1) long term value 2) resale value.

Fernandinho (just turned 28)
Mahrez (27)
Otamendi (27)
Toure (just turned 27)
Walker (just turned 27)

The different between signing someone at 27 and 29 is quite big when it comes to long term value, someone just entering the traditional peak years and someone that's been through two years of their peak already (long term value argument). If any of those signings hadn't made it successfully in the first two seasons, we would have been able to recoup a smaller fee than we bought them for but at least something. Give Koulibaly two seasons and he's 31, you'll get next to fuck all for him and will be stuck with him (resale value argument).

Fernandinho at 28 years old and at £32m was a gamble, of course it was, but it's a third of the money you're talking for Koulibaly, so hardly comparable. If the fee for Koulibaly was lower, much lower (£40-45m tops), then we wouldn't even be having a discussion because quality wise it's impossible to argue with how good he has proven to be.

I still don't see any examples outside of fringe CFG signings where it's evident that we've factored in resale value to any meaningful degree. And if we have then we've been doing a terrible job of it. When was the last time we sold a first team player for considerable profit? Half the time we write off any potential of selling on players by offering them silly contracts meaning we either get stuck with the player or we have to accept loans/ reduced fees to get them off the books because any interested party is going to be put off by the sizeable wages they're getting from us. That's been a constant since the takeover.

Long term value is something we clearly consider more and that's more than likely what would be holding up this deal. To be clear, I'm not arguing that Koulibaly is worth the asking price, I'm saying that how the club value him will be determined by plenty of other factors with resale value being low on the list of priorities.

The comment I originally referred to specifically mentioned resale value and not long term value, hence the Bargain Hunters joke.

I still don't see any examples outside of fringe CFG signings where it's evident that we've factored in resale value to any meaningful degree. And if we have then we've been doing a terrible job of it. When was the last time we sold a first team player for considerable profit? Half the time we write off any potential of selling on players by offering them silly contracts meaning we either get stuck with the player or we have to accept loans/ reduced fees to get them off the books because any interested party is going to be put off by the sizeable wages they're getting from us. That's been a constant since the takeover.

Long term value is something we clearly consider more and that's more than likely what would be holding up this deal. To be clear, I'm not arguing that Koulibaly is worth the asking price, I'm saying that how the club value him will be determined by plenty of other factors with resale value being low on the list of priorities.

The comment I originally referred to specifically mentioned resale value and not long term value, hence the Bargain Hunters joke.
Less than one month ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.